Chapter Fourteen

(Katniss' POV.)

My entire body goes numb. The sound of Finnius' screams are heart wrenching, the thought just making me want to kill Gale even more. This is not the Gale I loved. This is a blood thirsty maniac.

I force myself to crawl across the blood soaked pavement, every movement making pain rip through my swollen ankle. Bones are definitely broken, but there's nothing I can do about it. There's no reason for me to even care about it. Finnius is who's important. Not me.

"Finnius!" I yell out in a hoarse voice.

"I'm bleeding!" He screams back, the dark red liquid now pooling around him.

If we don't get him to a doctor quick, I know he won't make it. I can't afford to lose someone else. I begin dragging myself faster, my arms instinctively latching onto Finnius once I finally reach him.

He tilts his head slightly to the side, his bright blue eyes now colored red from the tears.

"Am I gonna die, mommy?" He whispers, his lower lip beginning to tremble. Hot tears run down my face as I hold onto him, his chest rising and falling quickly against mine.

"You're fine, Finn. Everything's going to be okay." I struggle to get out, the words tasting like venom. I know everything isn't going to be okay. It will never be okay.

His body suddenly jolts forward, the movement making blood run down the back of his neck.

"It hurts!" He screams, his eyes beginning to let out another stream of tears.

I cautiously cup the back of his head with my palm, my fingers tightly wrapping around the large gash.

He screams louder, the touch of my hand making him jolt forward again.

"Don't move!" I hiss, the sound of him crying only making me cry harder. A loud noise suddenly catches my attention.

My head quickly twists to the side, Gale's body now resting far off to the right of me. His chest rises and falls very slowly, each breath seeming to be a struggle for him. That should keep him down for a good amount of time.

(Peeta's POV.)

Black dots litter my vision, everything inside of me now now overwhelmingly weak. I can't give up this fight. I'm not going to give Gale that satisfaction.

I force myself over to Katniss and Finnius, the sight of him immediately bringing me to tears.

"Oh my god." I whisper to myself, my fingers automatically sliding into Finnius' hand. He grips onto me tightly, his lip trembling as he speaks.

"I tried to save you, daddy." He whispers, each word sounding more painful than the one before. His breathing grows short and fast, a sweat beginning to break out on his forehead.

"You're my hero, little guy." I whisper back, my voice growing more and more hoarse.

Finnius' face grows whiter by the second, his blood now running down Katniss' arms.

"Katniss, we need to go now!" I say loudly, my voice cutting off at the end as the tears begin to flow faster.

She nods quickly, both of us not willing to waste anymore time. I cautiously scoop Finnius into my arms, his head violently bobbing at the quick movement.

I nearly collapse right then and there, my arms too weak to even hold him. There's no way Katniss can hold him with her bad ankle, so I know it has to be me. I'm not letting my son die. I will make sure of that, no matter what it takes.

"Someone get Meddy!" I desperately scream, my hand quickly clutching onto Finnius' wound the same way Katniss did.

A woman dressed in a white blouse immediately comes running out of her small shop, her tiny legs rushing her over to me.