04

I eventually told Melina that we were heading to Italy to stay with Silas, and her joy only grew when he mentioned our upcoming marriage

As we boarded the plane for Italy, Melina drifted off to sleep in my lap, while Silas sat beside me, his eyes fixed on me for the entire flight.

Upon landing, Melina woke up, and I carried her to a large black car, where she snuggled close to me in the absence of a child seat.

Her innocent, sweet expressions as she gazed out the window during our drive through Italy provided a comforting distraction from our overwhelming circumstances.

"Mommy, can we go to the water today?" she pleaded.

"Not right now, Melina. We're going to meet your father's family," I said, casting a resentful glance at Silas.

"Okay," she pouted, but her mood brightened as Silas's house came into view.

"Mommy, look, it's a castle!" she squealed, making a few of us laugh as she bounced in her seat

"This is our home, princess," Silas told Melina, and she became even more excited.

As we drove through the gates and reached the front, I saw a few people, and Melina became scared.

"It's okay, love," I said as she held onto my jacket.

Silas's men opened the car door for us, and we walked toward Silas's family.

"Oh, she is so beautiful," Grace said, and Melina got scared and hid behind me.

"Melina, this is your grandparents, Nathaniel and Grace, and your aunt Aurora and uncle Lucas," Silas said.

Then Melina emerged from behind me and stared at them. I reassured her that it was okay, and she ran to her grandmother.

Melina's grandmother, Grace, knelt down and embraced her tightly. "Oh, my dear sweet girl, you're just as beautiful as your mother," she said, her eyes brimming with tears.

Melina looked at Grace with a mixture of shyness and curiosity, but she seemed to relax in her grandmother's embrace. "Thank you," she whispered softly.