Chapter 5: Distractions

April 14th, 2016 - Jade's pov

It was finally the day of my first song to come out! I had always wanted to be a singer, perform live shows, and this was just a step towards that life I've been dreaming of.

Many of my fans had heard me sing and said I was really good. They also continuously pestered me about releasing music, which is what motivated me to actually get into a studio and produce a song.

The single was called 'Fast Times'. It was a song I wrote within the first month or so of being in London. It was the bustle and hustle of the loud and crowded city that inspired me. The song was received really well. All the comments on my Instagram post promoting the song were all positive and supportive.

As May came around my second single 'Nonsense' came out, as well as the announcement of my debut album. I dropped the 'fast times' music video and the 'Nonsense' music video this month, which got received really well. Both music videos got on the YouTube trending page, which is ridiculous to me! None of my YouTube videos prior have even gotten on trending before so this was super exciting for me.

While this all was happening, I did some interviews with magazines, television shows, and news channels. These were all crazy! The fact that little me from Adelaide is doing an interviews with all these big companies in London is kinda crazy.

All this excitement was built up around my album, which was dropping on June 27th. It was something I had been working on all first half of the year, and I was super proud of it and myself. I actually got a manager- Jamie. She's the sweetest and most career driven person I've ever met. She's helped me with everything, including interviews, marketing, and my image.

May 2016 - Simon's pov

"Yo guys, and welcome to the Sidemen channel!", I say into my camera as I record the intro for our first video on the sidemen channel.

Our intro video got uploaded later that day. This has all been ridiculous! We started the Sidemen channel to start posting all of our videos as a group on. All our fans really liked all of us together and the channel has been a big milestone for us.

We're also thinking of doing a charity match next year, as our most viewed videos are crossbar and football challenges. As well as the football match, we've moved into a bigger house- yes it's still just me, Josh. JJ, and Vik. But we really needed a bigger space to film bigger videos and we all sort of want more space, since we can afford it now. Plus we always end up having Ethan, Harry, Tobi, or even Manny and Deji stay over sometimes.

Also our SDMN merch is selling pretty well, which had given jobs to some of our mates that haven't been as fortunate as us.

So now we're getting recognised in the streets of London regularly, especially JJ, and we're being invited to heaps more events. It's so sick!

This year has already been incredible, but we have so much more planned, as well as the Sidemen's own book! All this is really exciting and has turned out to be very time consuming, along with personal projects.

July 2016 - Jade's pov

So... my album kinda went viral! I genuinely can't believe all the love and support around it. Like all of my fans from YouTube have fully supported my music, and my sub count has almost tripled in size.

I swear every time I hear my song in public or on the radio I almost feel like crying. I am just so proud of myself and what I've produced with heaps of hard work and some help.