| 5 | Hold Your Horses

I haven't needed an alarm for 11AM in a long time. And man, am I cursing its very existence. It's my goddamn day off and what did I do? I offered to bring Taryn coffee and breakfast.

Since she doesn't have a car and I didn't help the matter, this made a lot of sense when we said goodnight. But I'd had a few too many and didn't get back to my apartment until the sun was rising. With the past and present swirling and a mystery to solve, it was broad daylight by the time I finally conked out.

I sit up on the side of the bed with a groan. The headrush doesn't stop me from pulling my phone from the charger and scrolling through a ridiculous number of messages. There are a few texts from Knox, something that must be about Taryn's car, a voicemail from my patrol sergeant, and every kind of message possible from my mother. She probably needs money again. It's the only reason she can find it in herself to remember I exist these days. She blitzed me with all of them, starting at 5:30 in the morning, but that's par for the course. She's not exactly known for her patience or tact. Or sobriety.

Some of these messages probably can't wait, but Taryn's text thread may as well stand alone. And still, I can't bring myself to open it.

We somehow managed to exchange phone numbers around the awkward handshake that followed a hug gone wrong. There was some stammering that makes me want to crawl back into bed and die, but I think I got the point across; she can contact me if there's anything she ever needs. And I meant it. At least at the time...

Before my mind starts spinning again, I suppose I should see what she wants. When I notice the time she contacted me, 8:45, it puts the thought into action. What if it was an emergency? She's isolated and twenty minutes away. If anything were to happen to her, I'd be the lazy, good-for-nothing jerk who let her down again.

Hey Grady. Good morning. Sorry to bother you so early. I know you're probably still sleeping.

I stop there to take a breath. It lowers the pounding in my head by at least a degree or two. Then I rub my eyes, not sure I'm ready for the three extra paragraphs.

No one in all of my acquaintance has ever been this . . . this . . . thorough . . . not even Quinn. She was more of a time/place sorta gal . . . and a pro at ghosting when it served her purposes. Toward the end, this tendency went from habitual to permanent, all within a few weeks' time.

I remind myself that Taryn is not her sister, just like I'm not any of the foul lot I'm forced to call family. I let myself be flattered that Taryn took the time, and I'm impressed she found the words. It's certainly too early for me to have anything profound to say. I'm not even sure I can absorb her attempt. I'm exhausted and hungover, emotionally more than anything else. It doesn't stop me from trying, though. Yes, I am a sucker for anything sweet.

I should be sleeping too, but I have a lot on my mind and wanted to take a moment to express my thanks. You really came through for me last night. We have a plan and a sense of direction, and I'm starting to feel a little better about all this. I really think we're going to find something today.

Once again, I apologize for the need. I know this can't be easy for you. I would have done anything to avoid getting you involved, but the mastermind(s) of all of this clearly picked you as their point man. They are cruel and unjust, and if there ever comes a day that I can say that to their face(s), I will do so on your behalf.

I'll see you in a little while. If it weren't for the circumstances, I'd be looking forward to it. I do love Dotty's breakfast sandwiches, and our first conversation aside, I appreciate the company and the welcome home. The ranch isn't the ranch without you. I wanted to get that off my chest before tempers flare again, and I say something I don't mean.