IT'S A WIN-WIN, BABYGIRL

Because it showed none other than Dave...

The phone trilled, a jarring intrusion into the quiet of the night street. I glanced at the display, my heart skipping a beat.

Hesitantly, I answered.

"Hello?"

Silence. Then, a low whistle, long and drawn out, made fear claw at my insides...

"Vera," his voice, smooth as honey laced with venom, finally emerged. "Happy Reunion!"

My stomach clenched... He knew where I was...

Is he-Is he watching from somewhere right now?

"I knew all along that it was you who sent them the pictures. I've only been waiting to catch you with some valid proof." I said, my voice surprisingly steady.

A chuckle, cold and humorless. "Goodness," his voice purred, I'm surprised how you're still poised and unafraid."

Rage, hot and fierce, surged through me, momentarily eclipsing the fear.

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?"

Silence. Then, the whistle again, this time closer, as if he were right beside me. Fear threatened to engulf me, but I wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

"Who....are you?" I demanded, my voice gaining strength despite the tremor in my hands. I've had enough.

"Someone who sees you, babygirl.. who knows the darkness that hides within you, just waiting to be unleashed." It rasped, his voice devoid of warmth.

His words were like ice-cold water, chilling and exhilarating at the same time. What did he know? What darkness did he speak of?

"W-What?"

"And someone who's watching you even now..." Just as he said that I immediately turned, losing almost all my breath...

Suddenly, a flicker of movement in the shadows. A figure emerged, shrouded in darkness.

It's him!

And then he was taking slow, yet firm steps towards me; humming along to a melody... Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton...

What the heck?!

It was a melody so known to me...back when he wasn't a nameless terror but a boy with cold eyes and a mischievous grin.

But now, the same old melody feels like horror...

In the next moment, I was running.
I just ran, without giving a damn about where to... Because my house is just a lane away, it won't be long.

I reached home and quickly closed all doors and windows, fear lingering like a cold serpent coiling in my heart...

What have I gotten myself into?

I sat on the bed, sheets rolled up, too terrified to even get out of the bed. I wonder why I was so terrified of Dave.

I couldn't get sleep for a split second that night, with fear consuming my every nerve...

I skipped school the next day. To make matters worse, my old friends were flooding my chatbox asking if I was okay! I swear did I end up in some parallel universe or what?

My thoughts were interrupted by a ding. I checked and it showed a text from Dave that read,

Why fear me? I'm only here to help you.

 Pine Yard Street, 211, YJ Block. You know what to do ;)

Is he challenging me right now? Fine, let's just be done with it! I demand answers. I'm not going to sit back. Reluctantly, I got myself ready and followed the address.