AN UNCANNY GUEST

As he helped me to the library because it was the nearest we could go, I couldn't help but take him into focus.

There's a thrill to the unpredictability of him, something I'll never get to know if he keeps messing with my mind like this.

"You may need some ice on it," he said, his brows furrowed.

I shook my head, wincing. "Probably not."

The library was empty, except for the two of us and the library assistant, Emily prolly at the other end. I lay on the divan to calm the burning nerves of my knee.

"You can...go now. They're waiting for you," I mumbled massaging my temples. "I'm sorry for the trouble."

He didn't reply, instead grabbed a book from a shelf and sat on the bench opposite me.

"I'm not going back."

That made me open my eyes and look up at him, "But you were in the middle of a game?"

"Your classmates are a bunch of fatheads," he responded. "Against me? They don't stand a chance. I'd rather stay here than continue that lame match."

I nodded before resting my head on the cushion.

Some minutes passed and I let myself fall asleep. I feel so tired.

But I couldn't drift off.

Not when Dave sat uncharacteristically still.

He wasn't reading; his gaze was fixed on me, a smile playing on his lips that didn't quite reach his eyes.

The first time it happened, when I opened my eyes, I'd dismissed it as a coincidence. Every few seconds, his gaze would flicker up to meet mine, linger for a beat too long, then dart away as if nothing happened.

"Is Lauren seeing anyone?" Dave finally spoke, his voice a low rumble.

"Sanchez from Liberal Arts," I mumbled, refusing to meet his gaze. "Would you like me to set you up with her?" I tried to inject some playfulness into my voice.

But his gaze was unwavering. More intense this time.

Like he was trying to scrutinize every freckle of my facials, a sheepish smile then flickered across his face.

"I don't want that. Why in the world would I date?"

"Why not?" The atmosphere was a bit less tense now. "I mean she's a goddess so why-

"She's just hot," he cut me off. "A girl should be pretty to be a goddess, Vera."

IS HE SOME BEAUTY PAGEANT JUDGE?

"Well, I'm not sure.." I forced a smile.

The tension was too thick. With each passing second, my unease grew. It wasn't his stare itself, necessarily, but the intensity behind it.