CARL WOULD NEVER

CARL WOULD NEVER have thought such an incident would take place in this life, but it had. Ryan had dragged his stupid self to their table during recess the next day, which put Carl in a difficult situation where he had to sit next to Levi, and not without plenty of people around to note down his change of emotions. He couldn't overlook the fact that their legs were almost touching, and it was scaring the hell out of him.

'Are you aware that these two are dating?' Ryan casually slipped that piece of information amidst a few bites of his lunchtime snack. He seemed to have directed his question at Leah, who fidgeted with discomfort from where she was seated.

'She's well aware,' Savannah quipped as she sat between Leah and Leon.

On the other side of the table, trapped by Carl and Ryan on either side, Levi continued to sulk without so much as uttering a word.

'So are you, Savvy,' stated Ryan, obviously missing the scathing look Savannah displayed at the use of the pet name. 'But Leon wasn't informed, was he?'

Leon, who had not lifted his downcast eyes for a while, clutched his fork so tightly that Carl was afraid it would bend in half.

'I would've preferred to hear it from Carl, not you,' he finally replied, still fuming with anger.

Carl figured that the only one in the group that didn't know abut the deal was Leon, and he knew for sure that he was not going to be the one to break it to him. It looked like a difficult game where Party A, namely Ryan, thought that Party B, which included Savannah and Leah, didn't know of the underlying deal behind the fake relationship. And the same went for Party B, who thought that Party A had no idea whatsoever. Nevertheless, Carl decided that many could play at that game.

'I don't approve of this,' said Leon, and Savannah smirked. 'Carl is like a brother to me, and he deserves much better than a self-obsessed public figure. I don't care about your physical attributes and personal charm; if you hurt my friend in any way, I'll be sure to kill you.'

Carl was surprised of the sharp edge of coldness there was to his voice; and Levi was quite taken aback at the threat that was clearly sent his way. Levi glanced at Carl, as if expecting him to break the deal to Leon, but apparently, Levi didn't know better.

'I'm ashamed you think of me like that,' he said at last, sighing. 'I'd never hurt your friend.'

Carl was beginning to worry that Levi would not want to continue to do it anymore, and then he remembered Leon's threatening comment and immediately disposed of the idea. There was no backing out of it now.

'Come to think of it, I've never heard about him as your boyfriend,' said Leon, throwing light at the slight implication that he had heard of Levi from Carl as things other than 'boyfriend'. 'When did you two get in touch?' Then, he looked at Leah and Savannah expectantly. 'How come you all knew about this, and I didn't? Am I that unreliable?'

'When you put it like that, I'm the most unreliable,' Savannah took credit. 'I can't keep my mouth shut half the time, remember? You just... were so in denial to anything between the two of them that you couldn't join the dots like I did. Leah eventually did, too.'

Carl blew a breath of relief, sending his fringe flying upwards. However, it was more from knowing Savannah hadn't further tarnished his image than feeling relieved at the explanation. 'I'm sorry for not telling you.'

'It's all right,' Leon replied grudgingly. 'Just make sure not to hide things so much from now on. Otherwise, I'd begin to think I'm not your friend anymore.'

'Aye, aye, captain,' said Savannah, saluting.

'You're OK with it?' asked Ryan. 'Just like that?'

Savannah glared at him, almost as if to ask, 'wanna create more trouble?'