chapter one

"Happy Birthday, babe", my boyfriend Max whispered into my ear, causing me to wake up from the dream I had just had which involved me and Max sitting in the garden of a huge, beautiful house, playing with our grandchildren. Today was the day I finally turned 18, which meant that me and my boyfriend, my soulmate, were finally the same age and now both would start to age like normal people. I slowly tried to get up, only to be pulled back into Max' arms which embraced me into a warm, loving hug. "I just love you so much, Isabella Chloe Williams", he muttered while kissing my blonde hair. "I love you too Max Hunter", I whispered against his lips and leaned in for a kiss. We were interrupted by my mother who shouted from downstairs that we should join her. He got up and I quickly put on a hoody to be a bit more covered up. Afterwards I led Max down the stairs and we went to the kitchen, where I was greeted with my parents and my best friend, Michael. He opened his arms, giving me the opportunity to greet him with a hug. I ran towards my best friend, literally jumped into his arms and held him as close as humanely possible. "No.Air.", Michael managed to say while I still hugged him like crazy. I had barely seen him the past few weeks since he was in a band which had become quite successful during the last months. Don't get me wrong, I was unbelievably proud of Michael, but I missed our sleepovers which consisted of us eating sweets, watching movies and playing video games the whole night. We finally let go of each other and I was now pulled into my mothers embrace, shortly followed by my father's.I felt Max' arm snaking around my waist. "Time to open your presents!", my mother exclaimed excited and pulled me towards the couch, where I sat down. "Ok, here you go, honey", my mother said and handed me what I guessed was my present, a small red box. "Open it!", she demanded, not even trying to hide her excitement. I did as she told me and gasped for air. Inside the tiny box were car keys! I looked at my parents in shock. "Oh my god thank you so much! But seriously, this is just far too expensive!" "It's fine, really. Now would you like to see your car?", my father asked, smiling at me. I quickly nodded, jumped up and went to our front yard, where a car was parked which I had never seen before. It really wasn't anything too posh, but I was just extremely glad to finally be independent and able to drive wherever I wanted whenever I wanted. Later that day, the rest of my family came to visit me. By 7 p.m. they all had left, including Max who had an appointment he could not miss. My parents had left as well as they wanted to spend an evening out, meaning I was now home alone with Michael. We cuddled up together in a blanket in the garden watching the stars and talking about our future."You know", Michael started, "it's kind of sad. You have found Max and from now on you will age just like anybody else. Meanwhile I'll be stuck as a 18 year old forever. Like, staying young forever is a pretty cool thing but I'd rather be immortal and have your company." I looked to him just to see him staring at the stars, looking completely absent. I sighed so he would turn his attention to me again, which he did. I side-hugged him and explained :"Michael, don't say that. Even though being immortal would be really cool and I'd definitely be down for that, I am certain you'll find your soulmate. I mean we all have one, we just have to look out for them. Who knows, maybe she's sitting somewhere at the other end of the world, just waiting for you to find her?" I lie down next to my best friend, immediately feeling tired. Even though I assume I just imagined it, I could swear I heard Michael saying „but what if I've already found her and she's my soulmate but I am not hers?" before I fell asleep.