The Fat Controller's New Plan

The Fat Controller paced across the platform. Word had spread about the two prior accidents, and The Fat Controller found himself growing more and more stressed. He wasn't one for much physical movement, but he found sitting at his desk was like being locked in a dark prison. At last, he ventured into the yard. James and Douglas were there, both collecting water. With the onslaught of delays, there wasn't much to occupy them.

"Whatever are we meant to do?"

The Fat Controller grimaced, placing a hand on James' front end.

"With both Phil and Richard in the works, and only just getting Tuna, I haven't the foggiest idea what we can do to fix this mess. The line is clearly confusing to the signal operations, and that's only the start of it."

The engines weren't so cluey on such matters, but the crew understood.

"You have to admit, it was really an accident waiting to happen."

Douglas' driver explained.

"With the time crunch, having to wire them up in weird ways almost was writing on the wall, added with the extra workloads, and them having to stay up later, no wonder happened!"

The Fat Controller understood.

"But now a problem comes into how we can fix this, and sooner rather than later."

"We could build a sling bridge?"

James' stoker suggested, fully missing the chunk of the conversation.

"Or just any bridge, it sounds like it'd work?"

"Roxanne, are you stupid!?"

James replied, creating a massive fight between engine and crew. The idea wouldn't go anywhere.

"Perhaps we can build some signal-boxes for the loop?"

Douglas' guard tried her hardest to cut through the shouting, and succeeded.

"It's kinda lame, but its really the only proper option we've got at the moment. Plus, more jobs, and I'm sure the engines would love more people to whistle hello too!"

Clearly, the idea wasn't terrible, as The Fat Controller tapped his chin for a moment.

"Hmmm... I'll need to sort some things out first, but truthfully, that's the smartest option..."

He spun around on his heels so fast, both crews thought the head of the railway would topple over.

"James, your next train will be due out soon, please get ready. Douglas, you'll need to wait a little longer."

For some reason, they could hear a smile across his face.

"Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated."

And with that, The Fat Controller wandered away. The two engines stood in silence.

"A guess ye owe me yer washdown tonicht~"

"Oh shut up!"

And James stormed away.