Climatic Rescue

The new signal-boxes proved to be invaluable. They'd funnel the last of the supply trains in with as much efficiently as they could. Tuna liked this.

At last, the big day was only one sleep away. The trains were longer, and the engines hotter. At last, Tuna ventured into the yard. Chattem had shunted his train not long ago, and Tuna was looking forward to the run.

"The last one!"

He sang to his belligerent crew.

"One more, and I'll have a rest!"

"One more and we'll stop hearing your childish whining!"

His stoker snapped.

"If I hear any more of it, I'll blow my fucking brains out!"

Tuna wasn't listening. He quickly set off, making good time as he thundered along.

Not far away, Henry was assisting the workmen. They were decorating the station, and making it look better than ever! They had even brought in the breakdown train, to help move decorations, and give them easy access to the foot-bridge. Henry was in his own world, as he backed up, carefully towards the junction, Richard rattled past, whistling happily as he did so. Henry watched him, and was about to reply, when he suddenly saw something glisten in the sunlight.

"What's that!?"

He gasped. His crew inspected the line. It was easy to spot.

"It's a bit of metal that holds the sleepers in place?"

His driver quizzed.

"But where?..."

The sound of a booming whistle cut through the air. Henry was horrified, as Tuna came racing around the bend, right towards the damaged track!

"Stop!!"

Henry shouted! Tuna's driver applied the brakes, but the trucks saw their chance for pay-back, and serged forwards! Tuna's wheels left the rails, turning the ballast into dust as he came to a shuddering stop! Luckily, no one was hurt. Tuna had stayed upright, but now his front end was straddling the other lines. Henry seemed pensive.

"We did warn you, but now's not the time for that! Inform the signalman about our current situation!"

His stoker did so, but came back looking worried.

"She can't get a hold of any other boxes, it seems the wires have been severed!"

"We'll have to warn traffic in both directions ourselves!"

Tuna gasped. Quickly, Henry's guard ventured towards Gordon's hill, while Tuna's guard hobbled towards the station. But Alina is fat, and was just nearing the box, when Impulse sprinted past, a train of pipes for the harbour!

"That's not good!"

She quickly phoned ahead, hoping they'd be able to do something!

Henry had just moved Tuna's trucks away, when there came a shout!

"Someone's coming!"

One of the workmen cried, hurrying towards the accident.

"We need Tuna off the line, now!!"

"What do we do!"

Tuna was horrified! Suddenly, Henry had an idea.

"We can move him with the cranes! Just so Impulse doesn't strike him!"

The remaining crews quickly hooked Tuna's front end, right as Impulse came rattling around the bend! He saw the danger!!

"STOP!!"

His stoker shouted! Impulse and his crew shut their eyes, as Henry let out one long whistle, and with all his might, jolted backwards, moving Tuna clear, just in time! Impulse missed him by simply inches, thundering past!

"Phew! That was a near miss!"

Henry panted, as the long train came to a stop. All engines sighed in relief, it had been very close indeed.

The Fat Controller soon arrived, and watched as Henry carefully lowered Tuna back onto the rails. James and Douglas were busy moving the trucks carefully away. He found himself torn between emotions.

"You both have caused some serious confusion and delay."

He told them both sternly.

"All this fighting spread a bad atmosphere around the sheds. Not only that, it's led to Tuna speeding, and both of you being rough with the trucks."

He paused impressively.

"However, both of you have overcome such a dangerous and fearful challenge, and not only saved the day, but you put your grudge aside, just to make sure no one was hurt. For that, I'm very proud of you."

Tuna grinned.

"It was nothing."

The big green engine tried to play off.

"We have to act, no matter who it is, or if you hold any grudges. Besides, it was more for Impulse than anyone."

The engines laughed, even The Fat Controller joined in.
"We'll need to put all pedal to the medal to mend this. Tuna, you'll help mend the points with the workmen. Henry, you'll need to cover Tuna's work until tonight. Can I trust you both?"

"You can sir."

It felt like a cinematic moment, as Henry smirked. The sun seemed to come out, just at the perfect angle. They had one last push.