| CHAPTER ONE | War Atrocities

| CHAPTER ONE; War Atrocities |
————————————————

| CHAPTER ONE; War Atrocities | ————————————————

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

—Plato

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND

ANNELIESE ALBRACHT WAS BORN in Germany. Being a pure-blooded German girl, she stayed in Germany for the first ten years of her life. For the first nine years, she lived alongside her rather young mother and father. Until the year 1914 when her father, Alaric Albracht joined the war firsthand. Always having a firm love and support for his ancestral country and would die for Germany and its people.

When the man left his wife and daughter, he had apparently lasted but a year before supposedly having been shot dead while sleeping in the trenches during the stalemate in the middle of the night.

Upon her mother receiving letter of this, the woman decided to pack her things and grab her daughter, traveling to Camden Town, England.

Anneliese would more often than not, spend her time at home. Cooking, cleaning, reading, and simply looking out of the window as her mother worked in factories. Due to the fact that she was a German immigrant, she could not speak English and was only offered factory jobs that required her to build bombs and artillery for the war.

Unfortunately for Anneliese, her mother had passed with a cold in the middle of the night after arriving late from work. She had been sitting in her wooden chair, knitting a blanket for her twelve-year-old daughter.

Anneliese did not do anything about this, she did not tell anyone, and she did not call the cops. She sat in that house, for three days, sitting in the dark corner as she stared wide-eyed at the floor. She knew not what to do and was in shock at her mother's death, for they had already received letter that her father had died only a year into battle.

After three days of contemplation, the German girl stood up and left the apartment. She walked and walked, all the way to a different city. Leaving her mother's corpse to rot in her bed. The apartment door wide open for anyone to come in.

That is when Anneliese arrived in Birmingham, and where did she go first? The Church. For she felt that if she were to spend more time obligating her life to God, she would live a smoother life.

And even if it was late at night, the city dark, Anneliese was not alone in the large church. But unknown to her, Polly Gray was praying, hidden behind a row of seats as she sat on her knees with her head facing down to the floor.

Polly's prayers for her nephews were paused when she heard the large church door shut. She peeked up from behind the chair, only her eyes to be seen if Anneliese were to look her way.

Polly watched as the fourteen-year-old girl walked slowly down the pews, even in the dark of the church, Polly could see how dirty this youthful girl was. And underneath all of the muck, she was clearly beautiful, not fit to look so dirty. Polly practically forgot all of her prayers and stood up, catching the attention of Liese.

Who jumped in fear and began backing up, for she hadn't witnessed anything less than horrid in her days of walking to her unknown destination. The men were disgusting, the women were no help, the elders were judgemental, and the younglings could do no good for they were too young to understand.

Polly was not dumb, she could see that the girl had gone through things, but at this point in time, who hadn't? "I mean no harm, Love." Polly raised her hands, and while Anneliese could not speak English, she could very well understand it with no issues.

"Bist du ein Engel?" Helena spoke instinctively. Too out of touch to realize that this older woman could not speak her language.

Polly's face morphed into realization, "Oh." Was all she could say as she scanned the unusual girl once again. "Can you understand me?" Polly wondered after a minute and a half of silence, Anneliese nodded in reply. "Good. Listen here, Love...I cannot keep you, but— I will help you." Polly promised.

Liese narrowed her eyes distrustfully, "Warum?"

Even if Polly knew no German, she had assumed correctly of what Anneliese had asked. "Have you seen yourself? We are in a church, it's the least I could do. And maybe after we get you cleaned up and fed, I can get to teaching you how to speak the language of the country you are in, hm?" Polly dared to joke, hoping the child would laugh. For a little girl as pretty as her had no business frowning.

Anneliese was hesitant in agreeing, but she felt close to this woman, she had a feeling that she was a mother. And Anneliese's mother had always told her that she could trust mothers over anyone. But she wanted to make sure, so, this is what she did.

She pointed at Polly, making the elder woman nod, silently telling her that she was listening. Anneliese then made a gesture, acting as if she was tracing a large, round stomach. Asking if she had ever been pregnant. Luckily, Polly understood.

"I've had two children," Polly answered, causing Liese to smile slightly. "But— they are no longer with me." And just then, Polly regretted saying this. For Anneliese's smile fell immediately, her eyes shifting to her small intertwined hands. "Come with me?"

Anneliese made eye contact with Polly, deciding against her overthought worries. If this woman could mother two children and go to church, she must have been good, right...?

While the world war was soon to come to an 'end,' the war would not truly be over until every single Shelby...and every single ally— was dead.

———————————————————————

| 1 |