| CHAPTER SIX | Containment

| CHAPTER SIX; Containment |
———————————————

"Even enemies will become partners in order to get away

"Even enemies will become partners in order to get away."

-Unknown

MICHAEL HELD ANNELIESE CLOSE to him as they walked through the bidding house. She didn't quite understand why, assuming that he did not exactly like her. But she didn't pull away, afraid that he'd get angry with her.

Tommy spoke his rules as they walked up the stairs, Michael holding onto Anneliese's hand, leading her up. "You've been to these before?" Anne whispered into Michael's ear.

He hummed in response as he watched closely, not glancing toward her as he watched the next horse get pulled in.

"All right, Tommy, this is her." Tommy was now going to bid.

"Do we hear 800 guineas?" The auctioneer questioned loudly to the room. Anneliese expected Tommy to lift his hand or nod, but he hadn't. "850?" Tommy nodded this time. "Eight fifty, do I hear nine? Do I hear nine? Nine, am I bid?"

More men began to bid against Tommy, but he would not give up. Anneliese watched as a woman purposefully made her friend bid against Tommy repeatedly, but Tommy was not having it.

"She's a sweet beast, Tom, but stop. I tell you. I feel something bad." Curly worried, Anne, slithering her hand from Michael's and placing it on Curly's arm to try and calm him.

"Shut up, Curly." Charlie spoke.

They were already up to two thousand...and now? Tommy was sold the horse. Tommy gave the woman one last proud glance before walking off, everyone following after.

They waited in the hallway for Tommy to finish getting his papers, "What's so fun about these?" Anne hummed as she leaned on the wall beside John.

John looked down at her with a smirk, he shrugged, leaning down to whisper in her ear, "The women." He chuckled, patting her shoulder gently. Anne smiled slightly, Michael watching the whole ordeal.

He let out a strained breath, clenching his jaw and grabbing Anne's arm, "Well, you're married. Aren't you, John?" Michael faked curiosity as he discreetly pulled Anneliese away from John.

John was just about to reply smartly, but the boys were then distracted by a woman approaching Thomas. Everyone watched silently as they conversed.

Arthur commented cheekily about it as Tommy shook hands with her before cutting into their conversation, "Tommy! Come on, hurry up! We got to go." He ordered his younger brother, but Tommy simply looked away from him.

Both Michael and Anne shared a look, a bit confused as to why Tommy wouldn't listen to his elder brother. But of course, they were both new to the family. Well, almost...

Tommy still intended to test their loyalty and trustability. He just needed to find the right time.

"Tommy! We've got to get these kids back before dark or Polly will have your balls." John called out with a smile, placing his hand atop Michael's head.

"She will have 'em," Arthur commented matter-of-factly. "Tommy! We got to get back to the caravans." Arthur continued, trying to embarrass his little brother in front of a beautiful woman. "The chickens, they're hungry."

While the boys laughed childishly about the jokes, Anneliese rubbed her eyes tiredly. Tommy finally finished his conversation and made his way to the rest, walking straight past them. To which they followed suit.

As Arthur boasted about how rich women longed for bad, scary men to 'please' their needs, John teased and laughed at such a statement. Anneliese rolled her eyes but smiled in amusement, nonetheless.

"It's the fucking truth, John boy. Rich women these days, all they want is working class cock." Arthur spoke loudly.

Curly spoke quietly to Tommy as everyone followed behind, doubting the woman that Tommy had just spoken to. "Ah, she looks all right to me, Curly!" John cut in as they entered the betting floors.

Arthur went on with his joke, "All their men are dead, see? Officers, all shot."

"Yeah, by us!" John replied happily. As the two brothers joked, Anneliese noticed an oddly sat man. Having a bad feeling about his presence.

"She's got contacts in the racing world." Tommy sighed, tossing Michael the keys. "Michael, you drive."

"Tommy Shelby." The man spoke, quickly standing up and pointing his gun at Tommy.

"No!" Anne yelled as Arthur moved the man's gun and head-butted him. Michael jumped toward her and pushed her behind himself as another man came from the exit, holding his gun.

"Tommy, down!"

John shot the man, and Tommy dropped to the floor to grab the stray gun. As Arthur busied himself with beating the man to a pulp, Tommy stood up straight and pointed the gun around.

Everyone did their best to pull Arthur off of the man, Tommy going to yell at Michael, ordering him to give him the keys. Meanwhile, Anneliese helped to pull Arthur out of the building.

As she helped, Thomas couldn't help but notice the gun that had been tucked into the inside pocket of her coat. The gun had been slightly revealed when she helped lift Arthur, scrunching her coat slightly.

-

They reached home, where Polly was waiting for the two. Before they entered the house, Michael grabbed hold of Anneliese and pulled her close, "Not a word." He began, "D'you hear me?"

Anne stared up at him with a glare, leaning closer to him. Michael glanced down at her lips as she got ready to speak, "Get your hands off of me." She would whisper to him. "Lächeln." She sighed, showing him a large, false smile before opening the door to the house.

Polly spoke to the two, making sure they had a fine time. Michael made a believable act, Anneliese riding along, speaking with no disagreement.

"Goodnight, Pol." Annelise gently hugged the woman, kissing her cheek before pulling away and heading off to her room.

———————————————————————

A/n; I actually hate this damn chapter it's so boring 💀

| 6 |