| CHAPTER FIVE | Sleeping Patterns

| CHAPTER FIVE; Sleeping Patterns |
——————————————————

| CHAPTER FIVE; Sleeping Patterns | ——————————————————

"Often people who say they 'don't care' actually do."

—Unknown

1921
BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND

POLLY ARRIVED AT THE meeting, ordering Michael and Anneliese to stay outside while she spoke. Michael could not be more comfortable than he already was, unlike Anneliese who felt slightly shy as she stood shoulder to shoulder with the older boy.

Michael knew this, ever so slightly shuffling closer to the German girl every couple of seconds. Anneliese ignored his burning gaze, noticing how he had craned his neck in order to look at her with a small smirk. "Your name is Anne Albracht?" He inquired.

Anneliese glanced at him, shaking her head, "No. It's Anneliese."

"But everyone shortens your name."

"Only my friends." She explained to him, that even if it wasn't true, she'd rather him call her by her full name.

"Oh, I'm not your friend, then?" She could hear the amusement in his voice as he turned to lean his side on the wall, his fingertips dancing up her thin arm.

Anne didn't answer him this time.

Thankfully, Michael quickly became distracted. His fingers were now wrapped around Anneliese's thin arm as he slowly opened the door after unlocking the lock. He listened in for a moment, staring through the crack of the door before walking into the room carelessly.

His hand still wrapped around the blonde's arm, absentmindedly pulling her in and not letting go when she attempted to weakly pull away.

Polly finally noticed her son, "I thought I told you to lock that door." Polly scoffed worriedly at John.

"He did. I used the key on the nail." Michael cut in before Polly cut him off.

"Michael, why's your hand on her arm?" Polly sighed, paying close attention to his visibly tight grip.

Michael slowly looked down at his hand, clenching his jaw and letting go as he noticed Paul and Arthur's smirks.

Polly shook her head, "C'mere, Love." Polly gestured to Anneliese. Anne immediately listened, making an immediate way to the maternal-like woman. Polly wrapped a protective arm around Anneliese, holding her close to her side in a motherly manner. Her thumb gently caressed her arm to calm the girl who did not seem too happy to be in the presence of gang members once again. After having not-so-good occurrences with the Jewish men of Alfie's distillery.