Cake - fear of thunder

ppl - Luke & Calum
prompt(s) - fear of thunder
a/n - another short one 🐛

Calum's pov.
Luke has always been scared of thunder. Everyone knows it, and no one really knows why, not even Luke. It's an irrational fear but I always try my best to comfort him when a large storm rolls in.

.

Luke and I fell asleep a few hours ago, needing the rest after our tour just ended yesterday. We barely slept during the whole of it and words cannot express how tired all of us are, even our management team were 'beat'.

I was suddenly awoken by small shakes and whimpers. I slowly peel my eyes open to see darkness, the only light coming from the small red LED alarm clock on my nightstand. That was the only source of light, but not until there was a large flash of lightning, then rumbling thunder which could be heard from miles away.

I instantly look down to see the small boy in my hold, shaking with tears running down his beautiful clear skin.

"Hey honey, don't worry, the storm can't hurt you baby. There's nothing to stress over. I promise nothing can hurt you, I'll protect you penguin.." I whisper softly into his pierced ear.

"Calum, help me please.." he whispered, using his hands to grasp onto my waist as a means to pull me closer to him. His voice was shaky and it cracked in his speech. I gently grab his cheeks and turn his face towards mine. I don't care if he can't see me and I can't see him, I'm not going to talk into nothingness, I will comfort him to his face.

"Baby, close your eyes, ok?" I move my thumbs under his eyes and feel his eyes close hesitantly, his long blond eyelashes resting against the tips of my thumbs.

"Yea, that's it honey. Now breathe with me.."

.

Minutes passed like hours as Luke had such a hard time controlling his breathing and continuous tears.

But eventually I pulled his now numb frame into my chest, feeling his breathing finally even out. I gently kiss his forehead as he snuggles his face into my neck. "You're ok baby.. sleep now." I heard soft rumbles still coming from outside but Luke wasn't as bothered anymore: all my love needed was a bit of reassurance.