VI.

"Erica, wake up," a gentle voice began, pressing fingers into her shoulders and stirring her gradually. She fluttered her eyes open, realizing she was still within the hospital waiting room, but this time with a jacket draped over her.

"Sol's uncle is here," Drew informed her, pulling back from where he leaned before her. "He's in Sol's room right now, but I think we'll be able to see him soon."

"How is he?" Erica drowsily inquired, slurring her words.

"I think he's sleeping now," Drew murmured, settling into the seat next to her.

"What time is it?" Erica continued, rubbing her eyes and feeling her bones ache from the uncomfortable position she fell asleep in.

"Five in the morning," Drew mumbled after checking his phone briefly.

"Did you sleep at all?" Erica asked him, stretching her arms behind her.

"I couldn't," Drew admitted to which she furrowed her eyebrows. Before she could comment, Sol's uncle, Rafael Bautista, strolled out of the room and smiled, albeit in an expression lined with exhaustion, at Erica.

Erica pushed herself out of her seat and made her way towards him, allowing herself to be pulled into an embrace.

"Drew told me he's asleep right now," Erica began, skipping their usual inquiries about how the other was doing. "Is he up yet?"

"No," Rafael remarked, lip twitching beneath his facial hair. "They put him under when they pumped his stomach so we're still waiting for him to come to. They're going to ask him a few questions when he wakes up, but we can take him home after that."

Erica nodded, eyes watering as she whispered, "Sorry."

Rafael sighed and shook his head, replying, "You're one of the best influences on him. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself over it, but I can't just let him go back to school like nothing happened. I want him to start some form of therapy again, at least. He's not..." Rafael trailed off, raising an eyebrow.

"No, he just recently started drinking again," Erica answered, hanging her head. "But I understand. I think it's best for him to talk to someone."

At that, Rafael returned to Sol's room and Erica strolled over to where Drew sat, settling back to where she was moments ago.

"You don't have to stay, you know," Erica began, stretching her legs out. "Today is the Day of the Dead, after all."

"It's okay," Drew responded after a moment, staring blankly at the wall before them. "I didn't really feel like celebrating this year, anyway. It feels weird now that I know Alex isn't here anymore."

"What happened to him?" Erica uttered, parting her lips.

"I couldn't save him," Drew finally admitted, letting his eyes flutter shut. "He just wanted to protect me."

Erica opened her mouth to inquire the meaning of his words, but Sol's uncle rushed out of the hospital room, announcing, "Sol is awake."

They stumbled out of their seats, hurrying after Rafael.

Erica flung herself onto Sol as soon as she saw him, draping her arms across his hospital bed to which he winced painfully as she muttered, "Idiot! I was so worried about you."

"Ow, Jesus, Erica," Sol breathed, growing tense beneath her touch. "My abdomen still hurts."

They aided him in getting out of the bed after the hospital staff asked him a few questions, and then Uncle Rafael explained that Sol was going with him to have a talk.