XIV.

No matter how many times they called Cecilia, she didn't answer. They assumed it might've been because she was still driving down or possibly a poor connection or some sort of reasonable explanation. Their minds didn't want to leap to the worst imaginable scenario.

They were all incredibly nervous about what was awaiting them, so James insisted on bringing the blades Dux had provided them, tucking them away into shoes or pockets and deciding that if the prom had a security check to just deal with it when they got there. After gathering their things, they piled into Sol's car.

The high school was a four-hour drive away, buried deep in the Virginia countryside, but at the speed Sol was hurtling down the highway, Drew figured they'd make it there right as the sun had set. Zip sat in the passenger seat absentmindedly taking note of every roadside attraction they passed as if leaving himself breadcrumbs for the ride back.

The air was quiet and tense as Sol flipped some rock station on the radio and focused all his attention onto not swerving off the road, hands trembling slightly with each pump on the gas pedal.

James simply flipped through something on his phone, attempting to seem less nervous than the rest of them, but failing slightly as his foot tapped a rhythm against Sol's interior. The invitations lay between Drew and James in the backseat, gleaming tauntingly at Drew from the corner of his gaze.

Drew hardly knew what to do with himself, resisting the urge to scratch at his skin from sheer nerves as every possible scenario of what could've happened to Erica ran through his brain.

She was probably so confused and frightened, considering she didn't remember any aspect of her past life. That is, if she were even alive to feel any of those things. Drew shook the thought away. She was alive. He could sense it. Not from some supernatural energy, but from his belief that she knew how to fight for herself.

The sun had set by the time they pulled past the sign greeting them, "Welcome to Rima!" Drew tensed in his seat, the sensation of something wicked lurking near him washing over him once more.

Finally, James broke the silence, asking, "Where is everyone?"

They drove through the town's streets, with not a single shop open or person in sight, except for one or two people milling about, rushing to wherever they were heading to. The lack of human presence nearly made Drew queasy as he gripped the door handle.

Sol shrugged, muttering, "It's a small town. Probably not much to do around here but sit at home."

Yes, that had to be it.

They crept along to the high school, carefully coming to a crawl at every stop sign despite there being a lack of pedestrians or, well, anyone. However, Drew wouldn't point that out to Sol as he figured the golden-haired boy was also dreading the eerie encounter that awaited them.

The high school stood looming before them against the moon's light, with red and blue lights emanating from the windows. The chatter of high schoolers filtering into the building filled the air as girls clutched onto the ends of their lengthy gowns and their dates hovered beside them.

Drew, Sol, James, and Zip climbed out of the car on wobbly legs, only Zip seeming to be determined in his walk as he snatched the invitations from the backseat and made his way towards the entrance, never once faltering despite appearing slightly older than your average high school kid. Far too tall, at least.

James, Sol, and Drew hovered behind him when they made it to the entrance, surrounded by a balloon archway as an elderly man in an ill-fitting suit and gawky glasses examined them with a sneer, extending a hand to look at Zip's invitations.