Chapter One

Eli Webster perched on the grassy bank beside the pond. He dangled his feet in the murky water, thin strands of green grass tickling the backs of his legs. Birds chirped all around him, and the leaves rustled above his head in the light breeze. A small fishing pole hung between his slender fingers. Although the fish had yet to bite, Eli enjoyed his day.

There was nothing he liked better than sitting undisturbed amongst the grass and mud, listening to the sounds of the nearby birds, and feeling the sun against his pale skin. No chores, no parents, and no Constance running around screaming at the top of her lungs.

He was alone. Just the way he liked it.

Eli sighed, leaning back against the grass and closing his eyes. He pressed his back against the drying mud, the bright sunlight tickling his skin and the soft breeze rustling the bottom of his shirt. The fishing pole hung limply from his hand. Even if he went home empty handed, nothing could ruin his mood.

"Eli!" Constance's shrill cry cut through the circle of calm that covered him. "Eli!"

He sighed, opening his eyes and sitting up just enough to glance behind him. Constance stumbled out of the trees, tripping over the twisting, gnarled roots. She made enough noise to frighten off a stray dog. The calming peace that Eli longed for rippled away like the water in the pond.

"If you shout any louder you're going to scare the fish away," he said.

"The fish can't hear me, the waters in the way."

"They heard you coming half a mile away, Constance." Eli shook his head, pulling the fishing rod out of the pond. "What do you want?"

"Mama says you have to come home. She says you didn't do your chores prop-ly and you have homework."

"Anything else?"

"You were s'posed to help Papa in the wheat field today."

Eli groaned. He sat up, pulling his fishing rod out the water with the bait still attached to the end. "Tell Mama I'm coming. I just need to pack up."

"Don't be long or Papa will come and find you!"

Constance turned on her heel and began her stumbling journey back through the trees and towards the farmhouse. Eli continued to hear her crashing through the branches long after she disappeared from few, sending birds scattering into the bright blue sky. He knew those moments of peace were too good to be true; they always were.

Despite the trouble he knew he would be in if he were late, Eli took his time. He pulled his feet from the water and dried them on the nearby grass, slipping his shoes and socks back on. He packed up the small tin can he stored his bait in, tucked it under his arm, and swung his fishing rod over his shoulder. If he had it his way, he would have spent the rest of the afternoon with his feet resting in the cooling water of the pond and enjoying the way the grass rested against his calves.

The light breeze that rustled the leaves shook a few strands of dark hair that weren't covered by his cap. Warm sunlight beat down on the back of his neck, breaking through the thick canopy of twisting leaves and branches above his head. Eli kicked at the fallen twigs and stones that littered the ground. He hummed to himself, savouring his last few moments of calm before he returned home.

Eli emerged from the trees and into the bright sunlight. He tugged on the brim of his cap to protect his face. Rather than cross the rolling fields back home, which would shave a good ten minutes off his walk, Eli followed the stream that added those ten minutes back.

Water trickled through the stream, gentle hitting the rocks and splashing warm water over his boots and socks. Sunlight danced off the water, and Eli wished he didn't have to return to the farm where he'd work in the wheat field with his father until his back hurt and the sun burned his skin.

A day at the pond with a fishing rod in hand was all he wanted.

"Eli!" Constance hurtled across the field in front of her. She stumbled a little, the hem of her dress tangling up in her small legs.

"What now?"

"Mama says you need to hurry up."

"I'm almost home." He frowned. "How did you know where I was?"

"You always take the stream."

Eli bit back a laugh, somewhat annoyed that his seven-year-old sister knew him as well as she did. He couldn't deny being a creature of a habit, but he hadn't expected her to notice. "Come on then, you're slowing me down with all this talking."

"Am not!"

He tugged on a strand of her hair, laughing. Constance stayed close to his side as they followed the stream towards the farmhouse. Eli watched the water trickle over the rocks, the crystal clear water calling his name as the sun beat down on his neck. Beads of sweat trickled down his back and the hair on his neck clung to his skin. Nothing would cool him down faster than the water lapping around his ankles.

They walked in silence with nothing but the flowing water and nearby birds for company. Eli felt the light spray of the water from the stream when it hit the rocks, though it did nothing to cool his rising body temperature. Constance skipped alongside him, oblivious to the heat and existing in her own world far away from everything else.

Eli wished he could do that.

He watched the water, a small object resting against the stones and twigs settled against the bed of the stream. Leaving Constance for a moment, Eli crouched beside the water, dipping his hand into the cooling water. His fingers wrapped around the cold glass of a small glass bottle, pulling it out.

"What's that?" Constance asked, appearing at his shoulder.

Eli held the bottle up, small droplets of water running down his arm and gathering on the sleeves of his shirt. The bottle was covered in mud despite being in the water. He wasn't sure how old it was, but without the mud it looked like it came from the village shop. The latch remained sealed, protecting whatever was inside from the water of the stream.

He brushed his fingers over the glass to remove some of the mud. Inside was a single rolled up sheet of paper with hastily scrawled writing.

"Looks like someone left a message."

Constance frowned. "Why?"

"I don't know."

~~~

First Published - February 29th, 2024