Realization

"Black Rose, you've brought us far enough. I'll take it from here."

Shadow pulled his fist to his chest in determination as he turned to the other Hedgehogs. They had gone as far as they could in the rocky terrain with their busted ship, this was their last hope to save Sonic.
Black Rose could only nod solemnly.
Thorn Rose helped the weak and faded Sonic to his feet. He was so pale and translucent it was almost as if you could reach through him, like a ghost of his former self.
His friends were only able to look on as Shadow looped Sonic's arm over his shoulders.
Filled with the determination not to lose another important to him, Shadow quickly trudged toward the bow of the ship, the only thing slowing him down being Sonic squirming in his arms to look over his shoulder.

"Goodbye, Roses." the blue hedgehog smiled.

Black Rose, Thorn Rose, and Rusty Rose, couldn't have gotten a word in response though. Time wasn't on their side, and Shadow was already leaping out into the open space-like expanse.
Shadow weaved through floating rocks, hopping from one to the other with general ease.

Then Sonic fell to his knees with a wince, his form faltering with the pain. "Aagh!"

Shadow stumbled but quickly took Sonic into his arms, one arm behind his back another under his knees. Shadow continued his race to their home, holding Sonic tightly, nearly desperately.

Sonic grunted and mustered a quip, "I never knew you were a hugger." He hummed softly with a pained but genuine smile on his face.

"Do you want me to save you or not?" Shadow returned.

Sonic would have replied, but he only grunted and writhed in pain before going limp.
Shadow's eyes widened and he pressed forward gaining more speed, he wouldn't let this happen. Sonic wouldn't die today. He was gliding across the rocks with such force that his jet shoes made contact with the ground, hoisting them forward with a boom, over the last stretch.

"HANG ON, SONIC!" He couldn't help but yell as he felt the blue hedgehog getting lighter.

Something painful sank in his stomach as he felt the weight of Sonic leave his arms.

Shadow opened his eyes, when had he even closed them? He blinked up at the bright sky of Green Hill. He was back at the base of the mountain where this all started. He spun, taking it all in. He was rather disoriented, but- he had his emerald again? His heart sped up as he heard the commotion of the fight in the crag of the mountain up above. Sonic had to be up there.
Shadow backed away to get momentum, then flew up the steep side of the mountain. He stepped into the crag, looming over the chaos that was inside the cave. They were fighting Eggman and winning, but- most of the group seemed off, distressed.

"Step away from the rock, Egghead!"

Shadow's eyes flickered to the familiar voice, oh good, Sonic was fine- he was faced away from the fight but that... Wasn't entirely out of the ordinary. Eggman was a good distance away from the Paradox Prism, so Shadow took this as an opportunity. This damn rock wouldn't be causing problems again. He opened his hand for a green emerald to appear and used Chaos Control to place himself atop the Paradox Prism. This story ends here.

"Huh? Shadow?? What the HECK are you doing here??" Eggman yelled in outrage.

"I am the Ultimate Life Form. I go wherever I want." Shadow glared.

"WHA??" Eggman growled.

Before he could vanish with the prism, Shadow was interrupted. His ear twitched.

"Step away from the rock, Egghead!"

What? Shadow's eyes were torn from Eggman, ready to give Sonic hell for ruining the moment.