Denial

Shadow squirmed, he seemed to be restrained by an invisible force. He looked around, he wasn't in the cave anymore.

This place was so familiar as well.
Just as he was able to move he was trapped in some sort of glass tube.

No. NO!

he knew where he was-

A familiar face caught his attention. The figure of a frail girl standing at the control panel for the escape pod. He helplessly stood trapped. Fear welling up inside his chest, he scratched and punched at the glass as hard as he could, but nothing worked. He felt weak and sick to his stomach. He screamed out to Maria. But it fell on deaf ears.

He didn't even hear a gunshot, or see anyone else entering the room, when Maria's expression contorted painfully and blood stained her dress. He felt the ground give way as he was flung into space.

Light tears trickled down his cheeks as he floated through the endless abyss- a glazed over expression painting his face. The escape pod was gone, it had disappeared. But he didn't move. He only floated aimlessly.

"Come on shads, this is depressing."

Shadows ears perked and his eyes refocused on the blue hedgehog floating only a few inches above him.

"Let's get you home." Sonic smiled

"Wh-"

Sonic shoved shadow, the ebony hedgehog's eyes widened as he was now barreling towards the GreenHill portal again, leaving sonic behind.

Leaving Maria behind.

"WAI-" shadow jolted awake, and a gasp caught in his throat. Adrenaline made his body shake. He sighed, only then realizing Rouge was asleep on his shoulder and he had been resting with his head on hers.

He relaxed.

He hadn't had a nightmare with Maria in a while.

"You ok?" Tails didn't turn from his screen. It was one of the only lights in the cave aside from the Paradox Prism and Sonic.

How late was it?

"I'm fine." Shadow said gruffly "any progress?"

Tails froze, and turned only slightly. "No progress-"

Shadow's stomach dropped, and he shifted. He was careful not to move Rouge too much. "Nothing?"

Tails bit his lip and only blankly stared at the screen before him.

Shadow frowned distantly and stared out the cave entrance at the stars glistening in the late night sky. Was that really it? The death of "the hero of Mobius"? What a horrible thought when said "Hero" was standing right in front of him. Shadow closed his eyes again.

Dumbass hedgehog should've never come to this damned cave. He should've knocked him out before he had the chance to touch the prism. Shadow thought of how Sonic would've just laughed and given some comeback to that. He rubbed his eyes, only for them to snap open as a strange blue green light caught his attention.
A light hedgehog was approaching in the cave. Floating effortlessly and lighting his path with his telekinesis. "Hello? Tails? Amy said I'd find you here." The silver hedgehog squinted into the darkness.

Silver is here-