Chapter 24| Unsuspected Allies

Tara's P.O.V

             Surprisingly when we had gotten back to Stanley, he had made some decent progress. Hector taken aback beyond belief, something I couldn't help but laugh out at, all of us knowing Stanley usually dug poorly.

"Man, you really been working."

"No kiddin'." I comment in slight awe. Where was this motivation back at camp?

"Yeah." Stanley breathes out. I nod, getting ready for the work ahead of us as Hector started lowering himself.

"Coming down."

"Go." I jump down beside them, stabbing the earth walls of the hole to loosen it.

"Who knows? I could be digging up diamonds and not see em'."

"I don't think Kissin' Kate Barlow would have buried her treasure this deep." Hector comments.

"Come on. We got to make it wider." I continue to stab the walls to loosen dirt, scooping shovel fulls while trying to avoid hitting the other two.

"How do we know one of her gang members didn't already come back and dig up the treasure, man?" Hector questions.

"We don't." I shook my head in interjection.

"It has to be. I found the key just right over there, surely they would have taken that too right?" This caused more uncertainty but still we dug. We paused from our shoveling, Stanley's shoveling thudding into something.

"Did you hear that?" He questions almost unsure before stabbing at it again.

"What's this?" Hector asks, the three of us turning towards it with focus.

"More than likely what we're lookin' for." We nod, stabbing and digging the dirt around whatever was embedded in the earth.

"Watch out, watch out." The air was silent but full of tension as we put down our shovels to pull whatever was in the earth out.

"Hoo Hoo! We found it!" Stanley cheered as we tugged, Hector and I growing excited beside him.

"Come on, come on." I reached above, trying to slide it out as they pulled. Finally it popped out, colliding with the ground of the hole. We strained but quickly lifted the tote up, Stanley grabbing one end as Hector and I supported the other.

"What did I say?! What did I say?!" I sucked my teeth at Stanley but laughed nonetheless.

"Oh, man!" We marveled out the find, lights suddenly blinding us from above, trying our attention suddenly.

"Thanks, you three. You've been a big help." We were so focused on the lights and being caught that the tiny crawling lizards that were sneaking their way up had gone unnoticed.

" We were so focused on the lights and being caught that the tiny crawling lizards that were sneaking their way up had gone unnoticed

"Oh, jeez!" Mr Sir comments quietly as the Warden gasps and recoils back in fright. That's when I heard it, the small sound of hissing that was slowly becoming more apparent. I slowly looked down, a yellow spotted lizard stopping in its track and staring at me, its face not far from mine.