twenty-nine: injury prone

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-nine
INJURY PRONE
Salvation , 1871 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-nineINJURY PRONESalvation , 1871 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝so you falling on your face yesterday was just theatrics.❞

SALVATION HAD A new sheriff in the form of one Raymond Palmer. How he had gotten that position, Elle didn't really have a clue. And in his first act as sheriff, he would face Stillwater and his gang on main street.

Jeb Stillwater was the leader of a gang that had been raiding the poor town of Salvation for months, causing terror and anguish to the townsfolk. And just as the team's luck would have it, the man Snart had shot and killed in the saloon was apparently a member of the Stillwater gang, which, according to Hex, had them all fired up. So Ray, being the ever-loving Eagle Scout that he was, was hell-bent on protecting and defending Salvation against the Stillwater gang, and so somehow, he was appointed sheriff in the process.

Like always, it was Jefferson who had caught Elle up to speed on all things relating to the team — he had also told Elle that there was definitely some past tension between Rip and Hex, though whatever it was hadn't come to light yet.

Now, the two youngsters, Rory and Ray, were back on main street with the billionaire in the middle of the muddy path. They were waiting for the Stillwater gang to show up with intentions to raid the town once more. However, unlike in the past, Ray would be standing in their way, letting them know that he was in charge now and meant business. Elle wasn't sure how pleasingly this altercation would go, but she was here, supporting Ray as his backup. He seemed confident that this plan (whatever it was because he was being vague about the details) would go well and that Elle, Rory, and Jefferson wouldn't need to intervene, but from where the Anders girl stood, she could still feel that Ray was a tad nervous.

So she left her comfortable spot on the steps of the jailhouse and sauntered over to Ray.

As Elle walked, she couldn't ignore the pain that was not only in her side but also in her chest now, too. Gideon had warned her it was a possible side effect from the bruised ribs that she definitely had. After diagnosing Elle, the AI gave her some liquid painkillers and told her to ice the bruise (which she did for all of five minutes). Even though Elle was fascinated by the medical stuff, she was a terrible patient. She must've been reprimanded a million times by Gideon that she needed to take it easy. But Elle wasn't going to miss the Old West for anything, certainly not what she considered to be a stupid bruised rib.

When reaching Ray, Elle had to cough — which Gideon advised her to do as needed — before she said, "That's a pretty cool badge, huh Raymond?" and nodded towards the gold star on Ray's chest with the word 'SHERIFF' embedded in it.