Chapter 27

Chapter 27 (January 1873)

The chilly morning air bit at Stella's face as she and Elsie made their way into the carriage, Pierre extending a hand to help them step up before climbing in after them. So far, the plan was that he would ride with them to his office, and then the carriage would be theirs for the rest of the morning. Elsie had already packed a basket full of muffins and jams, along with various other things for Amelia, and Stella carried a second, smaller bundle. It's contents had been selected by Elsie, as well- Stella was simply the messenger. However, Stella did have a request for her mother.

"Mother, can we stop by one of those tea shops we like so well, before we reach the Holmes's?"

Elsie's eyebrows furrowed as she studied her daughter.

"Before? Why before? I packed some tea for Amelia inside your bundle."

"I-"

Stella paused. Her eyes stared at the intricate fabric of her dress as she thought out her next words slowly, careful as to not get an undesired reaction.

"I wanted to gift some tea to Sherlock... he was so...downcast, yesterday."

She brought her gaze up to meet both of her adoptive parents in this world, begging her intentions to get through to him.

"I'm worried about him, this is all I can think to do."

A motherly smile crossed Elsie's fae and she took Stella's hand, giving it a squeeze.

"We'll stop then, after we drop your father off."

Stella smiled and gave her thanks, before turning her gaze over the early-morning London. Luckily they were out before the smell seemed to make it's way through the streets. For now, fog covered nearly every inch of the city, so thick Stella wondered if she could cut it with a knife.

Pierre gave each of the ladies a quick kiss on the cheek before he left the carriage, waving goodbye as they were led onto their next destination. It took Stella less than a minute to find what she wanted for Sherlock, turning to her mother for confirmation that she made the right choice.

"Sherlock's a tricky one, but this seems to be a nice tea."

"He is.. I hope he'll actually enjoy it. I don't know much of what he likes, now, that I can buy him."

"It is hard to buy a good mystery around these parts, isn't it?"

Stella chuckled at her mother's joke, a grin flashing across Elsie's face as they walked back to the carriage.

"Indeed it is. I think he solves every penny dreadful mystery before Anne can even finish reading them to us, so I'm on short supply."

Elsie clicked her tongue at the comment, gazing out the window again as the carriage pulled along the cobblestones.

"I really should cut off that supply of stories, I don't think they're particularly suitable for a young lady. Especially of her age."

Stella's eyes widened a little, glancing over to her mother. She was just as fond of said mystery novels as Sherlock and Anne were, but when their mother had decided upon something....

"They are a little mature, sometimes," Stella started, glancing out the window again to try to catch a glimpse of Big Ben in the lessening fog. "But they make us all so happy. And they're very educational. As young adults, I feel they prepare us for the trickery of society. Besides, Anne avoids the truly vulgar ones."

The young mother glanced down into the bottom of the carriage as she pondered this, Stella watching her every movement, praying deep inside her that it would change her mother's mind.