Part 6

"My lady..." The gentle hand took me, my breath faltering as I was pulled away from my father's embrace. "That's enough now, little one. It is time to leave them."

"No... nononononononononononononono" i cried, the sobs and whimpers leaving my hoarse throat. I was dying inside, so leave me be with them, don't take me away.

"I am Sir Lionel, set by my king to look after the royal family of Cephalophore Kingdom during this trying time of uneasy peace."

"No...no please no. no!"

"I see that I was too late. I apologize." The knight pulled me into his chest. His sharp metal armor was covered by a thick blue cloak, "I will look after you in their stead, I swear to you that no harm will come to you now."

The next thing I remember is waking up in one of the guest's rooms. Sir Lionel standing in the doorway. My memories blurred together, for I had sworn I was dragged outside to be given up to the hungry masses, but I knew he had taken me to my room after gently pulling me away from my father.

I sat up, I wish I hadn't, I wish I had stayed asleep forever. I wish that I had joined my family in the night.

"Good morning." His voice was soft, his eyes softer against the hard lines of his face.

"It isn't." Those were the last words I can remember speaking. I was barely a month over thirteen and I had had everything taken from me. I cared not for the power, the riches, the lands, or the titles that had been lost in the war. All I wanted was to be with them again, alive or dead I couldn't care.

"No, I suppose it isn't." he had watched me so carefully, he was always watching me carefully. Was it because women were fragile and he was worried I would try something like my mother had in my own bedroom? Or was it because he saw me as I was? A child who had lost everything, a child who had nothing left. A child, a grieving, dying child. "Would you like something to eat?" He talked to me as if I would break at the barest of noise, I think I might have.

I didn't answer him, I just stared out the window.