f o r t y o n e

I find myself standing in the middle of Robbie's room, my eyes lingering on the familiar surroundings that now seem like a foreign place. The room feels empty and cold, devoid of Robbie's infectious laughter and warm presence.

I take a deep breath, trying to steady my emotions as I glance around the room. The walls are adorned with photographs capturing moments between Robbie and his friends — there are even a few of Chris and me, as well as a photograph of Marlene and me from the summer when she stayed at the flat.

“Here,” Chris emerges from the kitchen, holding out a cup of tea. “He only has Earl Grey. But for some reason, he has twenty boxes.”

I take the cup and let out a small laugh. “Fuck. I forgot about that. He had a crush on the girl from the corner store, so he went back every day buying tea as an excuse to see her.”

Chris takes a sip of his own cup, raising an eyebrow. “Why not buy something else? Who needs that much tea? Robbie didn't even like Earl Grey.”

“He wanted her to remember him,” I chuckle, recalling asking Robbie that very question.

Chris nods in response, his gaze drifting to the photographs on the wall. “So Robbie had a girlfriend,” he mutters quietly.

I shake my head. “It turned out she was engaged. He hadn't noticed the ring.”

The hollow laugh coming from Chris reminds me so much of Robbie. I close my eyes, trying to hold onto the memory for just a moment longer, afraid that I'll one day forget the sound of Robbie's laughter, echoing through the flat as he regale us with his latest adventures — and misadventures.

"I miss him," I whisper as I blink back tears. "I can't believe he's gone."

"It's hard to believe he won't walk through that door any minute, laughing and teasing us like he always does," Chris adds, picking up a photograph of the three of us taken on the day I left for Hogwarts. “Remember this?”

“I was so nervous,” I recall, looking at the photograph with me sandwiched between two teenage boys who, despite the smiles on their faces, couldn't wait to be on the train with their friends. “I begged Robbie to let me sit with him and his friends, but he insisted I found someone my own age. He was the one who introduced me to Marlene and Lily.”

“You two were always much closer than you and I… or Robbie and I,” Chris remarks, putting back the photograph and fiddling with a pair of Quidditch gloves. "I wish I had told him how much he means to me."

"He knew," I reassure him. "Robbie knew how much you cared about him, even if you didn't say it out loud. He loved you, you know."

“I know, but I was more of a father figure to both of you, which he hated. I always scolded him and tried to get him to grow up, get a real job.”

A tear slips down my cheek. "I loved him too. And I love you. Even if you are a Ministry suck-up.”

I see a small smile tugging at the corner of Chris's lips, but he doesn't say anything.

"Chris, are you going to be alright staying in Robbie's room tonight?" I ask concerned, feeling bad that he feels the need to keep me company. "I don't mind staying here on my own."

Chris offers me a reassuring smile, though it doesn't quite reach his eyes. "I'll be fine, Ellie," he says.

"Okay," I reply softly. "Just let me know if you need anything, alright?"

“I will,” he says, his tone more serious. “Besides, I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you… too.”

“Chris, I have stayed in this flat alone before. I have the number to Mr O'connor downstairs if something breaks, I have my wand and I know what to do in case of fire — and earthquakes, not that there are many of those in London. You taught me all of that, remember?” I give him a crooked smile. It's selfish, but while I know he hates the idea of sleeping in Robbie's bed, I don't want him to leave.