Chapter 11

Korball

Bernard grimaced over the book he wasn't really reading as his cousin started another set of exercises. It wasn't a secret in the family that Justin was the best fighter among the three, except when he goaded James' temper into snapping, but the daily training to remain the best of them was exhausting to watch.

"Your face will stay that way if the tide changes," Justin warned, the sentence broken by exertion.

"You do recall the entire evening will be spent dancing tonight?" Bernard turned his attention back to the page he'd been looking at for the past ten minutes.

"Not the entire evening. Half will be taken up with dinner and trade negotiations."

"You could also try socializing. Or making friends," Bernard offered. "I've heard people often enjoy doing that during social events. You know, actual people, who attend social events for pleasure."

Justin stopped in the middle of a movement and glared at his cousin until Bernard laughed. "Mark the time for me," Justin stated, choosing not to take the baiting.

"You're not fun anymore," Bernard complained, looking over his book at the nearest clock. "I remember when you used to be fun," he added, his eyes following the second hand.

"And what year do you recall that from?" Justin asked, his breathing becoming focused.

"If I recall correctly, there was the one time – mark – when I was fourteen. The Gem was docked for repairs and you lied to Dad about planning to keep me home while he and Mom were out." Bernard went back to looking at the book as Justin started another routine while now holding his breath. "You do remember, don't you? You picked the lock into the supplies and hardware store and we ended up arrested for theft and painting the –"

Justin lost his breath into a chuckle at the shared memory, interrupting the story. Bernard glanced at the clock and smirked at his cousin. "Not even twenty seconds," he chided. "You wouldn't have time to find the portal let alone get off the sinking ship."

"You're a Fengus for even counting that," Justin said, shaking his head and then focusing his breathing again.

"Fine. You won't count that. I, however, will assume you just drowned and James is the new Duke." Bernard glanced over his book and saw all the tells of his cousin attempting to ignore him by force of will alone. "Besides, there's another time I can recall – mark – where you were more fun. It was during my first year at university when you took me to the smelts and –"

Justin interrupted the next story with an actual burst of laughter that made him lose his balance. "You're not going to let me practice at all today, are you?" he said, rolling to sit on the floor and then wiping the sweat off his face with a small towel. He threw the sweaty towel at Bendy when he was done with it.

Bernard caught the towel as he snapped the book closed and stood, stretching, and then smiled widely when he threw the towel back. "Of course I'm not going to let you," he agreed. "It's a beautiful morning and Madam Isabelle's stable is full of bored horses."

"I'm certain with you riding they'll remain bored. And please stop acting like it's terrible to be stuck in Madam Isabelle's walls." Justin eyed the nearest ladder out of the catacombs and caves under the house with visible distaste. "This is the only lodging in Korball with the comforts the rest of the known world enjoys."

"You're only saying that because you have nobody you wish to spend time with on the other side of them, so you think inside and under the walls is better," Bernard said. He'd already picked up his jacket and turned toward the ladder. It would take him up to the study shared between the bedrooms Madam Isabelle had put Bernard and Justin in. From the study, it was only a matter of a few steps to get out into the main hallway on the second floor. "I do have someone out there, you recall? She's about this tall," he held a hand at his shoulder, "with blonde hair, an excellent education, and an adorable laugh? Any of that sound familiar?"