Chapter 13

Korball

Bendy read through the contract Justin and Leon had negotiated during the morning as he ate the few things he could choke down. As was his usual habit at a good gathering, he'd drunk too much stihl and slept poorly and was now paying for the indiscretions as midday approached. His mood was buoyant beyond words in spite of feeling miserable, though, as he studied the multiple pages of the document that would see him married by – he flipped back to the first page – the end of the current week! He smiled and forced himself to swallow another bite of dry toast as he turned back to the page he was reading. The international agreement was heavy with terminology around citizenship and property ownership, the rights and entitlements of both parties to each family's assets during the marriage and in the event it ended in any way...

Leon frowned over his tea, across the table, when a burp threatened to relieve Bernard of more than just some trapped gases. The younger man fought to keep the few mouthfuls he'd eaten within his stomach. Knowing that puking on the luncheon table would not raise his soon to be in-law's opinion of his person, Bendy won the battle with his gut long enough to politely excuse himself from the morning meal and retreat to the nearest bathroom. Again. When he got back to the table, Justin was sitting in the chair which had been empty for the full time Bendy had been attempting to eat.

"Have you finished reading yet?" Justin tapped a finger on the contract as Bendy sat down.

"Nearly done," Bendy replied. Justin sat impatiently, the fingers of one hand drumming on the table-top, as he watched Bernard read to the end of the page. "You're welcome to go away while I finish reading this."

"You're not required to read it," Justin replied. "Korballi law dictates the fathers or male legal guardians reconcile the marriage contract."

"Why am I even reading this, then?" Bendy stared at his cousin over top of the papers in his hand. His father would take weeks, if not months, to safely enter Korball and make his way to the D'Viallè estate.

"Because your father gave me legal representation over your person, assets and affairs in his absence when he sent you – two years underage – for schooling in Leshnat to the same university I was attending. He never rescinded the appointment. The Trident is due to leave in a week's time. Choose now if you want finish reading now or after we've sailed," Justin stated, finally stopping the constant drumming of his fingers on the table. "I have business for Montrade in Dalk requiring my attention this afternoon. You have the next few minutes to decide which male guardian you want to have overseeing the contract."

Bendy got back to reading. He made the decision not to bother with eating. Eating would likely lead to more vomiting and delays Justin didn't have the patience for. Due to the much longer delay of Bendy's father being able to get here and deal with the marriage contract, he didn't want to have his available legal representative spiteful with him to the point of forcing Bernard to wait even longer. Fifteen years had been enough.

With his attention focused to the level required, Bendy finished reviewing the contract within the available time Justin gave him. He questioned a few of the clauses and paragraphs due to not being familiar enough with Korballi law, but the replies were simple and set his mind at ease completely. He was most surprised to find Leon had already signed; Justin was the one withholding a signature until both Ariadne and Bernard had reviewed and understood the document. Justin plucked the contract from his hand the moment Bendy held it out to him. Bernard watched his cousin stand, take his leave so quickly he was more rude than normal when playing Duke in Madam Isabelle's house, and stride into the hallway at a pace that left the staff member at the door struggling to open it in time for him to pass through. Ariadne, Madam Lisette, and Lady Ann all entered the hall outside the luncheon room within moments after Justin.