chapter one

tere bin au w nicer murtasim and ma begum, no anwar, less dramatic meerab and overall a fluff story because i dont like drama

-

The soft hues of the sun shone on Meerabs face, her room filling with sunlight. She winced at the sudden contact of light, she grunted while slowly arising from her bed. Unlike the usual serenity of the house, today it seemed to be bustling with excitement, an excitement Meerab was unaware about. Had that been unusual to Meerab she wouldn't have rushed downstairs to waterdown her curiosity. Meerab leaped out of her bed and rushed to find her parents and houseworks heavily engrossed in their respective work.

A rushedly, run-walking Anila managed to catch her steps as she looked her daughter up and down. 

"Meerab, my love, my darling, why are you not ready yet?" 

Meerab knew her mother was a piece of perfection and wouldn't rest until everything was to her liking. 

"Ammi, please calm down whatever the occasion is, it certainty can't be at 7 o'clock in the morning" Meerab half-laughed at her own remark.

Anila let out a sigh, her daughter really couldn't let her win, could she? 

Just then a tall silhouette came behind Meerab placing a steady hand on her head, "I have to agree with Meerab, I find it odd to be sitting in a suit early in the morning when the guests are to arrive at evening tea." Waqas let out a laugh.

Meerab found herself sitting in the living room with the Khan family, a family she had visited every summer for as long as she could remember. In Meerab's perspective, with the excessive money and poise their family was also big on conservative values, something Meerab dreaded to hear about every time she visited. Although, she was still puzzled at the fact that her parents hadn't told her they were coming in the first place, or even the grand preparations.

Murtasim Shahnawaz Khan was a prideful man, he held his ego and values high as his head, the ground he walked on trembled by his overwhelming aura. He was the designated ruler of the Khan territory, a feudal lord. To say he was a good leader was an understatement, he was the best lord the Khan's have had in a while, overpowering his father Shanawaz's legacy. Many girls in the village preyed over him like he was feast to be eaten, but had the Murtasim Khan even glanced them an eye.

Salman Begum, the reigning Khanum of the Khans was a lady with style, her lavish choice of clothing was no foreign concept to people around her, she was drenched with pride just like her son, her sher beta.

"Now, Meerab beti, I know you may be confused by all his sudden hassle occurring but I think it's finally time for you to know that when you were born the Khan family and the Ahmed family decided to tie a knot in the name of you and Murtasim."

Meerab was confused, shocked, overwhelmed, any word to describe her emotions weren't enough. How could her parents decide something so big, without her permission? Was she not to decide her own life?

But Meerab was a girl with grace and values, she wouldn't cause a tantrum, she knew better, she knew how to act. It was clear that Murtasim was also foreign to his news, his face showed it all, his eyes widened and his body frozen. Of course, this was a stereotypical Pakistani household, arranging a marriage for their kids who don't even know each other. Meerab didn't oppose the idea of an arranged marriage as long as it wasn't forced upon her and she had time to know the person she would spend her life with.

Meerab took a deep breath, she had to say something before her life was taken from her hands.

"I have something to say before you proceed with anything,"

"Go on, Meerab, you have every right to", all the adults, including Murtasim waited patiently for her to speak.

"I know, I know that this marriage is a family tradition, and I do not oppose it, however I have one condition, actually it isn't a condition, a request rather." Her voice wavered at the judgmental eyes.

"A request?" Murtasim's eyes sparked with curiosity, this was the first time he spoke since he got here.

"A request only in the terms if you agree Murtasim", she knew she had to be confident, she wouldn't let nerves determine her life for her. "I would like time to know Murtasim, before the wedding, I think it would be beneficial for us to know if we're actually compatible." 

Meerab looked up as she finished, everyone's eyes filled with relief that she hadn't said something to embarrass herself or her parents.

"Whatever, you ask for Meerab, actually I was going to suggest you guys meet as well." Salma Begum knew Meerab was a lively girl with an open-mind, she had to compromise to make sure she made a good Khanni, she knew Meerab would make a good Khanni.

"Murtasim? Do you object?" Waqas wanted to know what Murtasim's silence meant, whether he agreed or disagreed.

"Whatever feels right to you guys, and Meerab".

These words were enough to satisfy the hungry eyes placed upon him, Meerab left like a rush of anxiety had washed over her and a new wave had overtaken it.

Meerab knew Murtasim, they met every summer, but she didn't know Murtasim. However, she couldn't argue with the fact that she wasn't attracted to him. He was a dark, brooding man, with a chiseled jaw, perfectly shaped beard, a mustache that was always kept up. His clothing was impressive as well, contrasting between kurta and shawls and well fit dress shirts and suits. He was the epitome of the ideal man. Under his deep, dark persona, Meerab had a feeling she'd see a gentle, warm human.

Murtasim on the other hand, was exploding with emotions, he had never felt in such a way. He had come to the Ahmed house upon the request of his mother, Ma Begum, had he known that a simple meeting would turn into a marriage proposal. A part of him felt grateful that he didn't know this was going to happen, if he had he would've never agreed to come in the first place. Of course, Murtasim knew he wasn't lacking girls for marriage, but his Ma had chosen Meerab for him. She had to be special, she was special, he knew it, he felt it, from the way she spoke, the way she handled this whole situation. He knew that she was the girl to become his, his Khanni.

Arguably, Murtasim never denied Meerab's beauty, she was the embodiment of a goddess. Her milky skin, her big doe eyes, her hair which beautifully framed her face curled for the occasion and her lips, her lips were glossy, pink, shaped in cupid's bow and they were the death of Murtasim Khan.

"Salma Begum, I think, maybe we should let the two kids talk, alone", being a mother, Anila had her concerns, she wanted Meerab to at least talk to him before their marriage was finalized. Ma Begum nodded, a simple gesture initatting permission for both of them to have some privacy.

Murtasim held the door for her as they made their way to the house's terrace. A simple act of chivalry but it made Meerabs' heart start a stampede. Being on the terrace made them realize that they had never actually spoken to each other before, other than a simple 'Salam Alakium' they had never uttered another word.

"I know you've already said it, but I wanna hear it on my own, are you really okay with this relationship?" His voice was vulnerable, like he wanted to hear something specifically and that only.

"Murtasim, I'm okay with it if you're okay with it, I'm willing to make this work. If our parents had decided something for us, I wouldn't question it."

There was a silence between them, not an awkward silence though, a comfortable silence, a silence of understanding. Meerab's lips curved into a small smile, Murtasim couldn't help but do the same.

"So, um, do you want to go somewhere tomorrow? Like get to know each other more?" Murtasim slyly asked, hoping for a yes.

"Are you really asking me that, after I just told everyone I would like to get to know each other before the marriage?" A small backfire came from Meerab, following a small chuckle.

It was music to his ears.

The following moments were spent conversing about random topics, exchanging numbers and social media and a little icebreaker, a signing of the start for their new journey, together.