chapter five

sorry for such a late update, i had so many freaking sacs this week but i'll try to update loads this week xx

Murtasim's hand slid behind Meerab's waist swiftly as he guided her to his car, softly caressing the fabric of her kameez making her melt at the touch of his fingertips. Although for Meerab, her internal repulsion urged her to wrap her hands around his bicep like she had seen in many movies, an urge she buried in the moment, however, making a mental note for the future. .

In the early mists of the morning, Murtasim and Ma Begum had made their way to her house to discuss the dates and preparations of their wedding, which had been a success as they embarked on a new milestone in their relationship. The shift of the date meant preparations and shopping had to be done as soon as possible which is why Murtasim insisted on assisting Meerab as she went shopping for her engagement lengha.

Salma Begum had a little idea how smitten the two kids were of each other but didn't fathom to what extent. Murtasim had come home after his date and started rambling to himself saying the same words over and over again, 'as soon as possible, as soon as possible'. Suddenly he halted in his place and scratched his beard before looking up to his mother who questionably judged his behaviour.

"Ma, I need a Nikkah ready tomorrow, first thing in the morning, asap-"

Salma Begum judged her son even more. Had he gone insane? What magic had Meerab done to her poor son to be going mad? She stopped him right before he could actually start arranging the Nikkah. Her palm spread out in front of him signaling to stop before she spoke.

"Murtasim, my child what has gotten into you, you just found out you were going to marry Meerab yesterday. What's the rush? Take it easy, at the end of the day you know you're going to marry her".

Salma Begum made sense, she always made sense, of course, she was the reigning Khanni of the Khans. Murtasim's face dropped at her words, he hadn't realized how carried away he had gotten as soon as he heard Meerab's answer.

"When do you want to make it official?"

They had been walking hand in hand down the dock, they're arms swinging back and forth as if they were little kids when these words had been uttered from Murtasim's mouth. Meerab stopped her pace as her big doe eyes widened and her once pale face turned into a tomato before looking at the ground shyly. Her hands tightly clutched her dupatta bringing it up to her face over her mouth while her fingers playing with the brim as she slowly looked up to him with her shimmering eyes. She looked at Murtasim, her eyes fluttering at him before she spoke.

"As soon as possible." Her voice came out squeaky and tiny shadowing her small giggles. [authors note: this is so mahjabeen core]

And with that she scrambled her way to the car, leaving behind a very astounded Murtasim who was trying to comprehend what had just happened. His poor heart tumbling and turning with every beat.

Murtasim chuckled to himself, reminiscing the events that led him to his state. He really was going insane.

Nevertheless, Ma Begum pitied her son, she had never seen him letting his emotions get the best of him which is how they had ended up at the Ahmed's house once again discussing a possibly close date for their Nikkah.

Salma Begum, Waqas and Anila knew what was going on, every glance they shot each signaled a hint of amusement they found in the situation, a blossoming of a new relationship. Murtasim's eagerness and Meerab's plea was enough to ease Waqas and Anila's hesitation at the sudden request. As parents of a daughter, Meerab was their only treasure, one they had kept so protected and cherished since the day she was born, their life's purpose consisted of her and her only. Now they watched as she grew to become a fine young woman finding her person, a person that will protect and hold her in times of good and bad. In the eyes of Waqas Ahmed held a sorrow, a sorrow in the fact his little daughter had reached the point in her life where her father wasn't the only man in her life anymore, however, the sorrow seemed minor to all the overwhelming emotions he felt for Meerab.

In the midst rush of the mall, Meerab found herself dragging Murtasim shop to shop just to find the right engagement outfit.

"Murtasimmmm", it was a melody to his ears, everytime his name uttered from Meerab's mouth, he felt a rush of energy run within his veins. Perhaps, it was time to admit, it was his new and now forever favorite thing.

"Meerab, let's go in this one", he suggested, they had been walking for nearly an two hours now without any luck, but to Murtasim that didn't matter, it matter if they had been shopping for an hour or five hours, for all he cared was to be with his future wife. Meerab had been extremely indecisive till now, as a young Pakistani girl growing up watching many shows and movies with extravagant weddings and their outfits, it was her dream to wear such clothes when got married.

'And I am getting married now, if not be picky now, then when? You only get married once.'

That's what Meerab had explained passionately to her mother when she had called for an hourly mother report. Meerab explored from shop to shop to find the right one not only for her but also Murtasim, who seemed just happy to be there, for something that aligned with her vision, something that seemed right to her heart.

They were just about to walk into the next store when something caught Meerab's eyes.Thats what she wanted! That's what she had been looking for this whole time. Her big doe eyes enlarged, shimmering as she took Murtasim's hand and once again dragged him.

"That's the one! That's what I want for our engagement." Her voice showed no hint of uncertainty, yet it was laced with enthusiasm and desire.

Murtasim had developed a new motto in his life since the day of their first date, 'what Meerab wants, Meerab gets'. And he had no intentions to ever let that go, he paced forward to one of the staff and with a click of the finger, it was hers.

The outfit she had chosen was a cream coloured silk salwar kameez which hung loosely around her body but still managed to defy the beauty of her curves, it was embroidered with green and red patterns that were banded with gold sequences. The salwar's v-line cut showed exactly the right amount of skin for the approval of her parents and Ma Begum, while the red of the outfit complimented Murtasim's kurta. It was all she ever wanted.