Act 4

(As Eric and Sheila reenter the dining room, the family's attention is immediately drawn to Eric's continued furry mannerisms. He tries to suppress them, but they persist, betraying his internal conflict.)

Mrs. Birling: (concerned) "Eric, dear, what's going on? You seem... different."

(Eric, struggling to maintain his human facade, tries to compose himself as Inspector Goole turns his attention towards him for questioning.)

Inspector Goole: "Now, Eric, I understand you were present at the Palace bar on the night in question. Can you tell me what happened?"

(Eric, visibly nervous and distracted by his internal conflict, attempts to answer the inspector's questions, but his furry mannerisms persist.)

Eric: (stammering) "Uh, y-yes, I was at the Palace bar... but I... uh..."

Mr. Birling: (impatiently) "Come on, Eric, pull yourself together. You're not making any sense."

(Eric's furry impulses intensify, making it increasingly difficult for him to concentrate on the inspector's questions.)

Eric: (frustrated) "I'm trying, Dad, but it's... it's hard to focus right now..."

(Sheila, noticing Eric's distress, reaches out to comfort him, but he pulls away, unable to fully confront his feelings.)

Sheila: "Eric, it's okay. You don't have to pretend. We're here for you, no matter what."

(Eric's eyes well up with tears as he struggles to contain his emotions. He feels torn between his desire to be accepted by his family and his fear of revealing his true identity.)

Eric: (choked up) "I'm sorry, Sheila... I just... I don't know how to... to be myself..."

(The room falls silent as Eric's admission hangs in the air, his furry mannerisms betraying his internal turmoil. The inspector observes the scene with a somber expression, realizing that there's more to this family than meets the eye.)