Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – A New Best Friend

Adela sat beside Sam in the garden. She examined her face and sighed.

"Thank you," Sam whispered.

Adela looked around to see who she was talking to. She slowly pointed to herself.

"Jeez, Sam," she said suddenly. "Why would you say that to me?"

"Because you got me out of t-the situation."

"That would've probably given you a death penalty by my big brother. No one wants that for sure. And no one wants to be next to Magnus when he's angry either."

Sam smiled dryly.

"He's a jerk. You know what? He banned Edmund's chocolates! Actually, everyone's chocolates because of him. He's an asshole. Also, don't tell anyone I said that," Adela added quickly.

Sam giggled. "I won't."

"How's old Brown?" Adela asked. Sam's expression darkened again.

"Dad is in a bad condition. He asked me to the work for him. The doctor's diagnosed him with-," she paused, "-with cancer. And it's bad."

"Oh," Adela said, "The medical will be managed by the Montego Family. You do not need to worry about it. It's old Brown after all. He has been working for this family since we weren't even born."

Sam's emerald-green eyes sparkled with tears. Adela could tell she was exhausted.

"Miss," Sam said slowly, "I owe you. With my life."

"Ad or Adela. And what the actual-"

"No swearing."

The voice was heavier and more manly. It was mean and demanding. It wasn't Sam's.

Adela looked around and saw Magnus appear. He plucked a flower from a nearby bush and smelled it. Adela turned around. Did he hear all that? She bit her lip. If she did, she was in big trouble.

"Where are you going," Magnus said, as Adela attempted to leave.

"No where," Adela said, rather loudly, turning back quickly.

"Have you been looking at the documents?" he asked, ignoring Sam as if she didn't exist.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I."

"That might not be what Ethan has told me, I'm afraid."

Ethan, you snitch. We have another jerk to deal with now.

"Swearing and lying," Magnus said, stretching.

Adela was relieved for the fact he didn't hear her talking shit about him.

"Ad," Magnus said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Yes?"

"How about a week?"

"What? A WEEK? No brother. I can't be grounded for an entire week in my room! Look, good brother. Pity your poor sister-" Adela said, holding Magnus's arm.

"Shut up, Ad," Magnus said simply.

"Oh, and I have a sports event to go to!" Adela said.

"Where did that come from?" Magnus asked, confused.

"Oh my! I'm getting late for it. Also, I'll like to take Sam with me," Adela said, moving away and taking Sam's hand.

"Ad, you are NOT taking her," Magnus said, looking at Sam with disgust.