Chapter 8

Chapter 8 – A New Beginning

After Andrew's funeral, Adela decided to take a nap. She had seen and had enough. Magnus had already gone down to the dungeons and Edmund slept on the couch beside the fireplace in the main hall. She could not blame him. She did not want to do the effort of going up the stairs to her room either. However, the dress and the heels were breaking her back.

She threw herself on the bed and fell asleep in the turmoil of her thoughts.

The next morning, Adela still felt tired after sleeping twelve plus hours. She crept out of bed and yawned. There was a gentle knock on the door. It wasn't like Ethan's sharp ear deafening one, but he was the only one to come at this time.

"Get lost, Ethan."

"It's me, Ad," Magnus's voice replied coldly.

Adela sat up straight. She fixed her morning hair and cleared her throat.

"Come in," she said, now sitting on the couch.

"Why didn't you come down for breakfast?" Magnus said, sitting down beside her.

"None of your business."

Magnus glared at her and she fell silent at once.

"Just woke up, have we?" Magnus said smirking.

"No," Adela said, trying to sound convincing.

"Lying..." Magnus said, shaking his head.

"Yea, I have," Adela finally confessed.

"Hmm, not waking up on time," Magnus continued, eyeing her.

"I'm sorry, okay? Jeez Magnus! I slept late."

"This once."

"Well. You have never been here. What's wrong?"

"I came to discuss Edmund's birthday," Magnus spoke.

"Magnus..."

"What?"

"Andrew just-"

"Ad, it is the only way we can start forgetting this tragedy. He told us to move on. To live. We need to do this."

Adela nodded and bit her lip. "Alright."

They discussed the party, during which they had a few fights, which was pretty normal because they couldn't agree on the basic things.

"Blue balloons, that's decided," Adela said angrily.

"Green will be way better," Magnus replied with furrowed eyebrows.

"Green is disgusting! You have an awful taste."

"We'll discuss this later," Magnus said, frustrated. "What about the guests?"

"No guests. Only me, you and him," Adela suggested.

"Alright, but green decorations will look amazing in the main hall."

"Magnus! I said blue!"

"Green."

"Blue."

"Fine," he said, standing up. "Get ready by five. In the main hall. Bring him there."

"Leave it to me."

"The last time I left something to you-"

"Shush," Adela hissed, raising her eyebrows.