Chapter 2: Powerless

SYDNEY

Dear Diary,

This is kind of lame. I have a lot of issues that I guess I should talk out with you, but writing in a diary just feels...weird.

You don't need to know much about me, but my name is Sydney, I'm 17 years old, I love music, baking, video-games and I am actually a twin.

You expect twins to be the same? The first thought that pops into your head when you think of twins is two identical people. Not all twins are like that. Now I don't want to give the wrong impression, I actually love my sister dearly, and I'm not trying to say my parents favour her or anything because trust me, they don't. They've always gone above and beyond for us and I'll always love them. I've just never felt as... special as she is. You see, my parents are also very special. They were once the elemental Masters of water and lightning, and they helped to save Ninjago with the help of the other Ninja. I'm so proud to have parents like them, and Sofia and I always have looked up to them and perceived them as heroes. The thing is, Sofia inherited my mum's powers, but I didn't inherit my dad's. My dad said that his power's 'left' him after their final battle and I do believe him, obviously. He says they will come to me in time but it's been a few years since mum started training Sofia to harness her power and she's started being able to use it and I just feel so unimportant. It's not my dad not training me because both my parents have done some form of training with me and Sofia and the only reason they knew Sofia had inherited my mother's powers was because she had started "showing signs"; I haven't shown any.

They both tell me that power doesn't mean anything, it's what is in your heart that matters and that if they could, they would've chosen not to give us their powers because while they are a blessing, life as a ninja was apparently...hard. It's not that I desperately want power, I just want to feel special, want to feel appreciated. My mum kind of knows what it's like and she does try to comfort me, it was actually her idea to get us these diaries for our 17th birthdays because she knew it would help me to get my feelings out and I guess I owe it to her to actually use it.

Anyway this kind of brings us to this morning. Sofia woke me up in her usual chipper way and my dad also woke us up in his usual chipper way. I just buried my head in my pillow, it was too early for this, but Sofia jumped out of bed and hugged my dad. The thing is with Sofia's powers though, she hasn't fully learnt to control them and sometimes you will just walk into a room to see a puddle of water on the floor that definitely wasn't Toby (our dog). This morning was no different because as she hugged our dad, she managed to spill water all down his back.

"Oh my god Dad I'm so so sorry" she said with a nervous tone
"It's okay Soph, it'll dry" my dad responded surprisingly merrily.
I groaned audibly through my pillow and turned around; all I wished for was the blissful heaven of sleep. That was, until I heard someone else at the door.
"Jay, I told you to wake them up quietly! Their teenagers they won't want to be up in the early hours of the morning."
My mum entered the room covered head to toe in oil and dust. She usually spent a lot of her free time down in the workshop with my dad, thinking up new inventions and fixing things up ; it was their happy place. As putrid as it was, the familiar smell of oil always comforted me because it reminded me of my mum.
"Even on their birthday..? I love waking them up on their birthday!" My dad replied rather disheartend.
"Their not kids anymore," Mum sighed lovingly, rolling her eyes, "Our babies are all grown up!"
"I know, I know."
"Come downstairs when you're ready, you've got presents to open!" Mum stated.
"I'M READY NOW!" Sofia and Dad chimed in chorus, rushing out of the room past Mum and down the stairs.
"Ugh, guess I've got to get up too." I commented and began to turn my body around to get out of bed.
"I'll go get myself cleaned up and I'll come down with you in a jif." She gestured for a hug and I gladly obliged, my mother's warm embrace made me feel comforted and childlike again, I felt safe. It's as if she could read my mind, feel my frustration.
"Right do you have any plans for today?" She said letting go of me.
"Not that I know of, yet."
"Ok, so we're going out later this evening to the monastery because Zane, Pixal and Lloyd have invited all of us round for dinner. Ember and Alex will be there so you will have someone to hang out with. I've just got to worry about getting Sofia and your father out of the house on time, okay!" Mum's calm demeanour slightly shifted to an agitated one.
"Yeah that'll be great! Thanks mum." I replied giving her another hug as she left the room.

I stepped back with the hope of slowly falling back into bed when I noticed a puddle of water on the ground behind me. I had a moment of realization, sighed and headed downstairs.