•Chapter 2•

Nawab hesitated outside the door of Khan's chamber, the weight of the failed mission pressing on his shoulders

The dimly lit room had the air of a powerful aura, as Nawab pushed the door open, revealing Raees Khan, his Baba, seated amidst numerous weapons, each one carefully cleaned.

Raees, in his full Pathaani attire, roared authority. Kohl-lined eyes, shone by years of experience in the underworld, finally focused on Nawab as he entered.

The room's silence shattered with the sounds of weapons being cleaned, a ritual Raees found solace in.

"You're late, Nawab," Raees remarked, his voice low, the words carrying a hint of sarcasm, as of course he knew from his experience that a mission like that couldn't be accomplished in such a short time.

He continued cleaning his gun, not bothering to look up even once in the longing eyes that carried guilt and shame. "Seems like the mission wasn't as successful as I anticipated." He remarked.

The room fell into a heavy silence as Nawab stood before him, the air thick with the weight of disappointment.

Raees, still busy in his work.
"You disappointed me, Nawab." His voice was deep. "A mission of utmost importance, and it crumbled in your hands?"

Nawab's throat tightened, but he steadied himself. "Baba, the circumstances..."

Raees cut him off with a smirk, finally lifting his gaze. "Circumstances, are what you make of them. But who am I to blame you for a failed mission? You're just the second in command, after all." His voice, filled with sarcasm. Nawab bowed down, not able to meet his eyes.

A tense silence hung in the air before Khan broke into a taunting laugh. "Failed mission, incompetent second in command.. is this how the Vultures operate now?"

Nawab tried to defend himself, "Baba, it wasn't just me. It was unforeseen—"

Raees cut him off with a scoff, "Unforeseen? In our world, everything is foreseen. You should've been prepared for the unexpected."

Nawab tightened his jaw, guilt building. "I did my best, Baba. You know how crucial this mission was."

Raees finally looked up, a sarcastic smile playing on his lips. "Your best, Son, falls short. A Vulture should always be above any challenges, not be defeated by them."

The tension in the room escalated as Nawab tried to explain, but Raees halted him with a stern gaze.

"Words won't mend a broken mission, Nawab. When blame dances on your shoulders, you wear it poorly. Learn to read the shadows, and maybe then, you won't stumble in the dark."

Nawab nodded and bowed in front of Khan in utmost respect.

Raees made him stand straight, patted his head and continued with affection filled voice, "You're like my son, Nawab, not just a pawn in this game. Learn from your mistakes, and one day, you might wear the crown with pride."