[ 𝟏 ] : 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬

"hey ruby

"hey ruby.. c'mere!" the voice called , she quickly recognized it as her fathers voice. she stood up and closed her coloring book and made her way to the living room.

"yes?" The girl asked her father.

"Pack a bag. Be quiet. And don't pack too much." Her father said , almost like he wasn't too sure.

ruby , the 10 year old girl frowned. she was beyond confused. she stood there for a second.

"Go Ruby!" He whisper yelled at the girl. Making her hurry over to her room.

The girl grabbed her bag and put in 3 different shirts. 1 flannel , and 2 pairs of pants. 7 pairs of underwear , and 3 pairs of socks.

She hurried over to her dresser and put 4 hair ties around her wrist.

She grabbed her favorite beige teddy bear.

She grabbed a picture of her family and stuffed it into her bag. Her mother , brother , sister and father. And obviously herself , were in the photo.

"Daddy what's going on?" The girl asked walking into the kitchen as she saw her father packing up canned foods.

"Some infection. Don't know what it is. Apparently we have to leave the city." Her father explained.

"Oh." The girl murmured throwing on a flannel and putting on her backpack.

Her father grabbed her roughly by the shoulders and looked at her seriously.

"You listen to me. You use your gun only when you're in serious trouble. Use your knife when you have to kill one of those things. And stay by my side. Aim for the head. Remember how i taught you to throw a knife."

Her father explained so quickly. But Ruby listened to every word. She knew this was serious only because her father called her by her real name.

He would usually call her girl or rube.

The only reason she knew how to use a gun was because her father showed her how to shoot. She knew how to throw a knife and how to use it.

"Where's mom?" Asked the frantic girl. "She went to the store not long ago." Replied her father grabbing a .45

"What about A.J and Becca? What if they-''

"Ruby! Enough. Come with me." Her father cut her off. Looking down at her.

              𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝟐 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨.

She was Ruby. Only Ruby. She had gotten separated from her family 3 weeks into the end of the world.

she wandered along the road almost everyday and hummed old tunes to herself. she was all alone and she really only wanted the company of someone else.