Chapter 4

Oliver had led me down a big hallway with doors on both sides of the hallway, some having big windows. Before I could go look at them, he quickly pulled me into one of the classrooms; it looked like a big art room. A couple of the other kids looked over and smiled. Some waved before a few of them came over.

"Who is this new cutie?" a girl with white hair and dark skin said.

"This is Antalya, she came in today" Oliver purred.

"Is she here to color with us?" a boy who almost looked similar to her.

Oliver looked over at me with a smile. I sighed as I nodded and decided to join them. We all sat for a while as we colored, and I watched them as they talked.

"Why don't you talk?" the white hair girl asked me.

I wrote on a piece of paper and held it up to her "because after my mother died, I stopped showing emotions and stopped talking...one day I'll talk again."

She read it and looked at me "then you should learn some sign language so that you don't have to keep a paper and pencil with you all the time" she suggested.

Oliver looked over at me before at the girl "How? None of us know sign language." he said to her.

"We might know sign language, but Ms. July the art teacher does remember she uses it for some of the deaf doctors here when she's not teaching us" she said with a smile.

"That's right I completely forgot" Oliver said and looked at me.

I looked at him 'that would be really good so that you know what I want but maybe you'll hear my voice soon' I thought.

"Would definitely help me know what you want" Oliver added.

I nodded to him before looking at the other two.

The girl got up with a happy pounce "I'll be right back then" she smiled before skipping away. Soon coming back with a young lady with dark brown hair it almost looked black. She came in and waved to all of us. The girl grabbed her brother and decided to leave Oliver and me alone with Ms. July

"Hello babies, who is it that is needing to learn sign language?" she asked.

I raised my hand softly.

"Me and Antalya here please," Oliver answered. "She's mute but I would like to learn to know what she says" he added and looked at Ms. July.

She smiled before clapping her hands together "Then let's get started lovelies" she said to them.

Oliver smiled before looking at me and I looked at him and gently patted his head. His tail wagged softly. We both looked at Ms. July as she started to teach us just simple signs and what they meant for now. After a while we learned simple words and phrases and Oliver smiled so proud of himself for learning.

I looked at him before looking at Ms. July. I signed to her "Thank you for the help."

She smiled "Your welcome hun now come back tomorrow at noon and I'll teach you both more, okay?" she said to me and Oliver.

I nodded to her as my tail twitched softly as if trying to wag again before looking at Oliver. "Ready to go?" I signed to him.

He smiled "Yep I still have to show you to your room" he hopped out of the chair before looking at Ms. July "Thank you Ms. July see you tomorrow!" he said happily before taking my hand and taking me away. I waved bye to her before being dragged away.

We walked down the hallway, and I looked in some of the rooms. It looked like classrooms, others it looked like some weird science room. I stopped to go take a closer look at them. Oliver noticed that I had stopped and turned to look back at me.

"Oh that's where we go get our...um... checkups. They like to make sure our bodies are getting the things we need" he said, a little nervous like he's trying to hide something.

I looked at him and nodded before starting to walk again. Oliver followed beside me, still looking pretty nervous. I looked at him concerned and he looked at me.

"They like to make sure we're nice and healthy then they like to do certain tests on us" he said while holding onto his shirt.

I looked at him and shrugged softly before looking around at the other rooms. I managed to stumble upon a room that had windows from the ceiling to floor. There were doctors in front of the doors with clipboards. They were looking into the room. I pointed at them, and Oliver looked up and his tail bristled.

"It's nothing important you don't need to go looking" he said as he stood in front of me.

My curiosity got the better of me though and I walked past him and started to head over to the window.

He grabbed my arm softly "please don't, you're not going to like it" he whined softly.

He was acting weird. He really does not like me wanting to go see. What could possibly be so bad that he doesn't want me to see. I tugged my arm from him and walked over to the window. Oliver pinned his ears down while his tail hung low behind him as he followed behind me. Looking into the window I saw a person getting injected with something. The doctors walked out of the room and the guy just looked at the window. His skin started to turn green, and he started screaming in pain as his body looked like it was melting. He then became this big slime looking monster.

I looked back at Oliver before walking over to him. The puzzles were putting itself together as I walked over to him. He looked at me before looking away, keeping his hands gripped to his shirt. I moved his hands and lifted his shirt lightly. Oliver looked at me in shock as I did. I looked at his stomach or where there was supposed to be one. There was nothing there except his spine.

I looked at him, "They did this?" I whispered to him as I looked at him.

He just nodded and put his shirt back down before meeting my gaze.

"They experiment on us... to see whose body is capable of handling these things" he said to me. "That's why when I said the other room was the checkup room and make sure our bodies are getting the things we need" he added.

"They are making sure our bodies are acceptable to do the experiments" I said my thoughts in a soft whisper. As I looked back at the doctors 'What would that mean for me? What would they try to do to me?' I thought.

Oliver looked at me with sadness "Don't go trying to do something, it will only put you in trouble and put you in more pain" he said to me as he held onto me.

I looked back at him "What are they planning to do with us after turning us into a monster?" I said softly to him.

"They are planning to use us to show off what they can do and sell us to people who will pay big money for them to use us as protection or put us in the war" he said to me as he held onto me more.

I looked at him and sighed softly as I held him close watching the doctors around them. I thought to myself 'I need to find a way out of here" before looking back at Oliver. "We need a way out' I nuzzled my head into his and wrapped my tail around him glaring at the doctors around them.