10

After the initial disbelief had worn off, Baron decided to ask:

So how are you gonna end the Blood monster, exactly?"

"That's where you come in," Michelle replied. "The Blood monster heavily relies on its goons, the Reds. They're the only ones that can see for him. By ancient tradition they are all required to cut their ears off after they reach 18, because they believe their sight heightens drastically that way. The hearts "hear" for them. But they come only on very certain occasions."

"Reds know us very well," Aster said striding in the room. "But you have never been in our ranks. So we think you should go undercover and learn of their weaknesses."

"I? But how?"

"Oh, everything'll be well, my man," Aster reassured him. "They'll accept you without much hassle. Then, in a few months, you can tell us to start the attack and we'll defeat them."

"With all due respect, Mr Aster, I feel like it's too good to be true, IMO. They could guess I'm from the Blood res, and I'll have nothing to say to that."

"Oh, Baron man, they won't have anything to prove that either. Having a new lad is a good thing on any team or cult. They're sick in the head, but they understand that nevertheless. After all, Baron, it's really necessary for you to go down there, isn't it?"

"I guess so,..." Baron's voice trailed away as his thoughts became slow, forcefully, as if to un-stipulate anything that could come later.

"How good it would make us feel if you did the things we need!" Michelle sighed in wistfullness. "No more stress. Blood monster gone. No ripping hearts. You've already agreed to the cause. So you need to know only one thing before you go. Baron, are you there?"

"What's that?" The barkeep replied, very much hesitantly.

"The Reds are probably gonna ask you to cut your ears off. Therefore we think that, to gain their trust, you should cut your ears off."

"W-when?"

"Now. Or later in the evening, if you want to practice sign language."

That was NOT on his list or daily agenda.

A/N: I'll be editing with Grammarly later lol.