Chapter II: Cry Baby Cry

March Who Knows Who Cares 1979

**********

Someone was licking me.

Someone was scratching my legs and standing on my sore hip.

Someone sat on my head.

After pulling myself up from my bottomless pit of a bed I was greeted with more tongue and a wet nose. I took it easy getting up. I was still dizzy from my period starting the week before. A box of dark chocolate filled with iron waited patiently for me on my shelf. The poodle licked my face again.

Better not risk it.

Grabbing my bathrobe, my retainer case, and the leash, I stumbled out of my bell tower.

**********

Car after car raced down the street but none were the black Jeep we were looking for. The poodle wagged her tail, standing on her hind legs with her paws on the window sill. She must have known today was the day.

Lola Bean.

That was her name. Not even her full name.

Behind me Murphy and Koa screamed infant profanities at my mother who was rapidly fixing bottles for lunch. Rose slept soundly in her crib.

Rose. Rosemary.

Her, Charlotte, and Daisy had all left.  Off to school with their older brothers in a nursery down the hall. And it was now months since I'd seen my favorite kid in the world. My heart ached at the thought of her forgetting me.

I could live without the other two.

Now three new infants had taken their places. Rose and Murphy weren't my favorites but Koa was okay. 

On occasion.

Lola Bean directed her attention to the concert behind us. I could feel my stomach tie itself into knots and it was only made worse when Rose woke up with her dreadful cough. Murphy and Koa made grabs for Lola Bean's tail and pulled her curly fur. I shielded her from their view.

Despite the enormous improvement in conditions around here, such as having three kids for one day a week instead of three days, it was still busy. My heart still raced. My body still ached. I took Lola Bean outside to look for the Jeep.

At least she was going home that day.