Chapter XXXVII: Australia

Right as the rain ended in England, it started in Australia. 

I had taken my new book with me to read outside, and I got soaked.

Throwing my towel in the hamper I found Ivy and Magnolia sitting right outside the door, looking up at me. "They're hungry," Mum said. "Even though I just fed them."

"Excuse me, girls," I said stepping around them. Ivy backed up but Magnolia shot across the room. Back in my bedroom for me. 

Thankfully my new book hadn't gotten an ounce of water on it. I opened it back up and began to read from the comfort of my bed. 

Okay, time to see what Maude was talking about....

**********

I set the book down in front of me and blinked. My eyes were stinging and filled with crust. Half the book finished and not once did I stop. 

Now I get it.

Taking a break I pulled my curtain aside and saw the rain had stopped. Some birds took to the skies and my neighbour's dog barked. I wanted more of that delicious sunshine I left behind in spring and chased after it in my new autumn world. 

And I have to say....autumn sun is even better than spring sun.

Finding a patch of grass that had dried enough to sit on I let the Earth turn around me, taking deep breaths in and letting them out. Meditation was more Maude's thing but it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. Relaxing all my muscles, searching deep into the layers of my mind, listening to the sounds of nature around me....

Our neighbour's dog barked his deep booming bark. Loud cheering came from a house down the street watching a cricket match on the telly. Someone had the bright idea to cut their grass and traffic whizzed down the street. I gave up, deciding to have a sunbake instead. Resting my head against the side of the house I basked in the warm sun, the smell of rain and grass filling my nose. 

Until a spider zigzagged around my unsuspecting person. 

Getting up as quick as I could I hurried away from that patch of grass and walked around to the front of the house by our gum tree.

Thank fuck they took that gate down, I hated that thing. 

Mum's plants and flowers were dying, petals scattered through the dirt from the rain. But the vegetable garden did well this year, plenty of homegrown produce stocking our refrigerator. I'd be making good use of the tomatoes. 

Maybe I should grow some myself this summer....

I could grow my own tomatoes and spaghetti squash. Maybe I could try a capsicum plant. I'd been making an effort to eat more and what better way to start than by eating healthy?

But I refuse to grow cucumbers. I hate cucumbers. 

**********

Ivy pounced on an unsuspecting Magnolia and they rolled around, biting and scratching. Magnolia hissed and they scampered off to the living room, leaving me to stir my butternut pumpkin and sweet potato. I took a taste test.

Ah, more salt.

It really wasn't so bad having the kittens around. They were cute like Mum said and fun to watch. And very friendly, if not a little shy. Especially Magnolia. She loved cuddling with Mum in the evenings but Heaven forbid you stub your toe behind her. Mum seemed to take very good care of them and didn't leave me with all the work. I appreciated that. And if she ever did need help with something small, like catching one to put into bed, I'd be glad to help.

Dad helped too. He set up their tower and their cage and went out to pick up their cat food. The kittens quickly grew accustomed to us and decided we were good to keep around in their new home. So they let us stay. Ivy sneezed right in Magnolia's face and they battled it out. 

The real test would be juggling the kittens and the babies all at the same time. 

And Lola Bean....

**********

The family sat to dinner that night. I joined in unlike usual. It seemed right since I had been away for so long. We actually had pleasant conversations and I told them about my holiday. Without mentioning anything of a certain Angus McKinnon....

I thought I could spill the beans to my family once I got back that I was seeing a man but now that the time had come I wasn't ready. I thought their approval didn't matter to me. 

They didn't really need to know I was dating anyone, did they?

The less they knew of him the better.

For now.

They asked me about the Bondi Beach trip they were taking this Christmas. If I had decided whether or not to come. Obviously someone would have to look after the kittens. That seemed like a great excuse to get out of it, even if it did mean taking on the responsibility of owning a pet for a short time. I think they knew it'd be up to me to watch them, because they didn't press me on going.

"I'll show you what I feed them," Mum said chewing her tortellini. "It's not hard, they just have a schedule on when to eat and what kind of food."

"Don't forget the litter box," Dad said. "Don't want to come home to a poop fest."

Suddenly my dinner didn't look so appetising....

**********

As I snuggled in bed with my cocoa I got started on my letter to Maude. I wrote that I was home safe and how I already missed her. 

It wasn't too sappy of a reunion....and I'm thankful for that. You know I've never really been touchy feely with my family. I hope you're home and resting. I'll have some more drawings for you as soon as I can buy more stamps. Tell your folks I said hi! I love you!

-Hannah Ruth

I closed the envelope and set it on my dresser. My last few stamps covered the corner. I'd have to visit the post office. I couldn't help but notice the dusty envelope sitting on the floor of my bedroom, hidden under the mess. Picking it up I set it on my dresser next to Maude's letter and climbed back into bed. Rain pounded against the window pane and the wind howled. I pulled my blanket tighter around me, my cup of cocoa burning my hands. 

I'd see him again. He promised.