Chapter 10

Caine has been sulking ever since we got home last night, but he wasn't the only one, Myra was depressed as well. And it seemed like nothing I did would bring them out of it. Maybe it was just a thing they needed to deal with on their own. But I really didn't want my mate to be depressed because of his brother.

A twinge of pain flittered through me, which usually happened when I thought about Baine, makes feel sick. He just rejected me yesterday, which I guess means that I needed time to heal as well. But I made a promise to myself, and Baine would never deserve the new and improved me. I was now solely the Beta Female, I had lost the Alpha title the second he said those words, which was just fine by me. I wasn't ready to be Alpha anything.

I sighed and decided that it would be good for me and Caine to go out for a run. We needed to unwind and let our wolves out. I threw a pillow at him.

When he looked over at me, he was slightly confused. "What was that for?"

I smiled softly . Want to go for a run Caine?

He just shrugged.

I couldn't help but sigh. Caine, I really am sorry that a ridge has formed between you and your brother. I didn't mean to disrupt anything or I should say everything. I didn't know he resented me that much. I shouldn't have said anything the other night. But We have each other, and I promise to try to make you happy. I hugged him softly, and when he didn't respond I started to go outside.

I was suddenly pulled back into his warm chest. Which was shaking, he was crying. Caine?

"I'm so sorry Lyka, if I had known my brother would respond so harshly to your past, I wouldn't have pushed you. If I had known the way he truly felt, I would have tried harder to make him understand." He cried.

"All his life, all he's ever wanted, all we've always wanted was our mates. I don't understand what suddenly got into him, I'm so sorry he hurt you. I just keep thinking to myself that, I should have protected you better. If I was a better mate, I would have done better." He hugged me tighter.

I sighed softly. I should have known he would blame himself. It's not your fault Caine. Its mine. If I were stronger, he'd have accepted me. If I had been able to stop my real parents from scarring me, or branding me, then he'd have accepted me. I'm a weak she-wolf, too weak to be an Alpha's mate. If only I had been born into this pack, everything would have turned out how it should have been. No one is to blame but myself, and my weakness.

I heard a muffled choking sound, only it didn't come from me or Caine. We both turned to see who it was, and there was Baine. Only he looked like he hadn't slept at all, and a complete mess. But what made me frown, was the fact that he was crying, and staring at us. Why?

I smiled sadly at him. Good morning Alpha. We were just going out for a run, sorry if we woke you up.

I grabbed Caine's hand and all but ran out of the my house. Caine had spent the night, after what happened I couldn't just let either us be alone. He held my tightly as we found refuge from his brothers stare in the woods surrounding the house.

I let out a relieved sigh when we were far enough away, that I felt like my heart wasn't being stabbed. Ready to run?

He nodded, so we stripped down and shifted. Our wolves shook themselves softly, before nuzzling each other. Myra really missed being around Valco, and vice versa. She was happier now, then she had been yesterday. Caine nudged me, so we took off.

I howled in happiness, it felt so good to be in this form. To just give myself over to her, to feel the power and the nature around me as we raced through the forest. I looked over at Caine, to find he was grinning at me.