PART 5: MY DEMON

When you call . . . I will answer you.

Pastor Tobit and his family arrived at early evening. On time enough to have that before-dinner chit chat where I get thrown into a hot seat.

Why do you keep letting this happen to you? How can you let you the devil play with you like this, Harley? You need to pray harder. You're sinning, aren't you? That's why this demon was so invested in you and not leaving you.

The same old questions, same old rotten away accusations.

Taraji and Tarik, Pastor Tobit's twins, confronted me like always. I was half glad their elder brother, Timothy, had dodged the occasion. The other half of me could totally use Timothy's CEO handsomeness as eye candy distraction instead of listening to the twins.

Timothy strode like he created the damn earth, but all he had was a deteriorating nonprofit christian organization. It was a pity how Oscar worthy his physical attractiveness was, yet he owned the nastiest of attitudes. Every single achievement that happened in his life was, in all obviousness, pretty privilege. Or in his particular case, hotness privilege. But I'd rather be secretly locked in the bathroom sucking him off like every other day they paid us a visit rather than be stuck in my head, stressing out over that devil.

The twins tried to talk me up with literally any interesting story in their heads. They tried too hard to keep me humor, like they were the hosts and I was the invited guest in their house. Like many times before, they almost made me forget that I was two years older.

If Timothy was here, he would've been muttering something about how childish his youngsters were and then start nitpicking at my heartstrings by talking about how 'sexy' his new secretary was. He would go on and on, pulling the string so far until I snapped. Then the bathroom thing would happen and for once, my father wasn't worried about leaving me alone with a boy because he trusted the pastor's son that much. In fact, Dad surely believed Timothy would be a beneficial influence since the boy liked girls. God, how badly I wanted to roll my eyes at that. Timothy was straight, okay? Until he laid eyes on me. Until he heard about me and became curious.

It didn't take long for him to confront me, asking if there's anything he was missing for not having a taste of me. Unlike his father, he had a way with words. I'll give him that. Unfortunately, tall guys with bedroom eyes, striking jaw lines sharp enough to slice my heart and feed it to the cows, topped with dark chocolate skin that mirrored the color of my secret fantasies, were my major weakness. And Timothy was all that, checking off all the boxes except one. He lacked common kindness, so I got turned off quicker than he turned me on. Which ended me up in the little hookups we occasionally had, no strings attached. Something to bliss his ego and something to get me off. It was a win-win situationship.

Tarik and Taraji's empty talks go into one ear and out of the other. Since they were sitting on each side of me, it felt like a tennis court and I was the spectator watching the ball go back and forth as Taraji blabbered on about the new dress she's going to wear on Sunday at church and Tarik intervened to prove that his new suit was way more exciting.

I mean, they're two unique pieces of clothing. It’s not like you can compare them. Most importantly, I had bigger problems to solve in my life at the moment. I had a whole demon to mope about, for christ's sake.

Did the ghost really leave? How could he? Maybe I should've made him promise not to go anywhere. Perhaps I shouldn't have treated him like shit. Maybe I was a little too mean. Where the hell did he even go? Into the streets? I'd rather he stayed in my bedroom. It's safer here.

Okay. Why in the holy ghost am I giving two shits about this demon? I remembered Zachary once telling me that I was too kind for my own good. Perhaps that's what was going on. I was being my usual too kind self.