Pre-Voyager

T'Nera Risi, was five years old when her father abandoned her and her mother, something that left a lasting impression on T'Nera, and then when she was seven years old her mother abandoned her on Trill with her aunt, because T'Nera was too Vulcan for her mother and too Trill for her father.

Prompting, T'Nera to shun her Trill side around Vulcans and Vulcan side around Trills, when T'Nera was sixteen she attended Starfleet Academy, there she met Tom Paris, a human, who didn't mind her Vulcan/Trill halves and preferred that she didn't hide them from people, Trill and Vulcan, that's what T'Nera was, there was no changing it, Tom just helped T'Nera accept her halves, Tom was her best friend, but T'Nera wanted more than that, even if she'd never admit it, when two years after graduation, Tom was involved in a shuttle accident that killed his friends, a year after the accident Tom told Starfleet, it was his fault, he just covered the truth up, but something changed his mind.

T'Nera lost contact with Tom after all of that, not by choice either, Tom just sent her a letter saying they shouldn't communicate anymore and T'Nera heard nothing from him since, when T'Nera was around twenty eight she was stationed aboard the USS Voyager as the head of communications, little knowing it would reunite her with a person from the past, what happens when things change and the Maquis and Voyager crews are stuck 70,000 light years from home? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is short and I'm really sorry.

Yes, there is a reason as to why T'Nera's parents abandoned her, partly because I wanted her to suffer some of the same 'hardships' as B'Elanna did when her father left.