Chapter 8 - Revelation

04:00.
Three hours until dawn.

The stranger had caught up to her. Minnie fell backwards as she panicked,

"Agh!! No!!" she screamed.

The stranger put his finger to his mouth behind his mask, "Shh, shh, shh, shh..." he said as he turned to look behind him. Minnie gets back up on her feet as she backs away,

"No!! Stay away-" she begins to yell when the stranger hisses at her,

"Shhh!! Quiet!!" he whispered harshly and angrily.

The two then hear a screech echo behind the stranger. Minnie couldn't get a good look at the source of the noise before the stranger kicked open a door near Minnie and shoved her down into a pit. Minnie screams as she rolls down the pit. She hears the stranger call after her as he threw a bag down the pit,

"Use these!" he says, and his voice fades into silence as she sees what seems to be a fire sprayed above her.

Minnie rolls to the bottom of the pit and grunts as the bag hits her stomach. She picked up the bag and looked inside. Inside were a couple of flares. She looked up and wondered; was the stranger trying to protect her? From what? She gets up to her feet and dusts herself off, slinging the bag over her shoulder after grabbing a flare from its inside. She left her lantern on the top of the slope.

"Shit..." she curses and pops open the flare.

She squints as some of the sparks fly into her face. She had a light source now. She continued down the paths of the mines and followed the sound of the blizzard winds to get to the outside. Minnie then sees some light as it leaks in through a narrow set of rocks blocked off by planks of wood. She takes a deep breath and walks in, making sure to put her hand holding her flare first. She cautiously shimmies through the narrow wooden walls, careful to get through as safely and quickly as possible. Just then, a large, long, grey and ghoulish hand breaks through the wood and tries to grab Minnie, its claws missing her face by a few inches.

Minnie screams and runs out from the narrow walls and away from whatever tried to claw her face. She approaches a bridge with a gap and successfully leaps across. She looks behind her at the monster and her heart feels like it stopped. It was a thin humanoid creature, except it was terribly thin and incredibly tall. Its head was grey and veiny, and it had two large grey eyes placed directly above its mutilated, bloody mouth. Most concerningly of all, as the creature screeched ghastly, she could see an assortment of razor-sharp teeth in its mouth accompanied with equally sharp claws on its long, disfigured hands. 

Unable to catch her breath, Minnie leaps into the elevator and pulls the lever, the elevator continuing its summit to the outside. She kneels to catch her breath, placing her hand on her chest as she felt her heart beat wildly. She thought it was a nightmare that she was having. A hyper realistic nightmare. There was no way what she had just seen could've been anything short of a hallucination. She squinted in pain as she felt the scrape on her leg throb.

"Ugh...this better not get infected..." she muttered.

She slowly stood up as she prepared for the elevator to reach its stop, when the elevator shook to a stop with the added weight of something that had suddenly jumped on.

"Shit...!"

Minnie swallows nervously and turns her head to see that the monster was looking for its prey through the cracks of the elevator.

Minnie held her breath. She couldn't move a muscle. Even though the beast was shaking the elevator, she held on to its wall and stayed perfectly still. The monster soon leapt off the elevator. Minnie exhales the breath she'd been holding. The elevator resumed its ascent and eventually stopped at the summit. Minnie ran out with full speed, her flare still in her hand. To her dismay, the creature screeched as it noticed its prey was getting away. She sees a chain in front of her and pulls it, pulling down a series of boulders in the creature's path. She continued to run, pushing barrels down and she ran in attempts to slow the monster down by any means. One of the barrels spilled oil on the ground beneath her, and she quickly tossed what remained of her flare's flame into the oil, the oil catching fire. The fire gave her more time to run, though the monster quickly crawled on the walls to avoid the fire. Minnie hadn't run so fast in her entire life.