Chapter 10 - Repentance

06:00.
One hour until dawn.

Gabe awoke and he found himself in the mines. His limbs ached, his head throbbed, and his ears ringed with noises that weren't there. He slowly scrambled to his feet. It was all becoming repetitive. He had reached his limit years ago, but they didn't stop. The noises and singing in his ears never ceased. Over and over again, he'd hear their voices. The voice of his sister, and the voice of the girl he used to love. It was his fault Mariana had died. He was supposed to be a brother to her.He was supposed to protect her, and he failed miserably. It was his fault Sophie had died. He loved her so much, and he let her down. He let her get hurt. He let her die.

"Frère Jaques, Frère Jaques, Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?"

The hauntingly saccharine melody rang repeatedly in his ears; Mariana's favorite nursery rhyme. Gabe clutched his hands around his head,

"No, no, no..." he whimpers in anguish. He organized the prank on his friends to get revenge for the prank they pulled on Sophie the year prior. Why didn't their accusing voices stop? 

The night of the prank played in his head like a nightmarish film. He remembered waking up, his head throbbing with a hangover. He saw police in the house, and the guilty looks on everyone's faces. Minnie had woken up before him, and she was in tears. The events of the prank, the recording of the prank was constant in his head. Marlon's callous laughter as he hid from Sophie, Louis' taunting smile as he lured Sophie in the room, Brody's insolent shushing and giggling as she watched Sophie embarrass herself, Mitch stepping out of the closet with the working camera in his hand, Clementine, his childhood best friend not lifting a finger to stop anything, Violet when she ran out of the lodge, calling for her friend like she hadn't played a part in the prank herself, Mariana's yelling at the group heartlessness. He wished he could have gone back in time and saved the girls.

____

-One year ago- 

___ 

Brody, Marlon, Clem, Violet, Mitch, and Violet were all huddled up in the kitchen, Brody giggling.

"Oh my god, I can't believe you actually did this..." Clem said, folding her arms over her chest.

"I know, right? This is gonna be awesome!" Brody gushed.

"Don't you guys think this is a little bit cruel?" Violet suggested.

"Relax, she deserves it." Brody insisted, "Plus, I'm just looking out for my boy Louis!" she pointed at Louis with a smile as the group began walking down the halls, leaving a drunk Minnie and Gabe passed out on the counter.

"This is gonna be epic, Louis. God, what would you do without us as your friends?" Marlon beamed as he playfully nudged Louis' shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, let's just do this already." he said with a very vaguely uncomfortable laugh. Marlon dropped the love letter he forged in Louis' handwriting on the stairs as they all walked up towards where the prank was going to take place. Violet walked out into the main hall and grimaced hesitantly before calling out,

"Sophie!"  

Sophie heard her friend calling for her and approached the main hall and picked up the note on the stairs. Her heart raced and her stomach fluttered as she read it. She walked up the stairs of the lodge with excitement, "Louis?" she called out.