Chapter 1

POV: Kylie Jenkins

I was in my room with my girlfriend Rachel, teasing each other and watching our favourite movie, Tangled. We had been best friends all our life, but one night during our Sophomore year, we were staying at our families cabin in Vail, Colorado. It was cold outside and we were sitting by the fire warming each other up. Our families were inside playing music and having fun in the living room. Rachel and I were snuggled up together, almost nose to nose. I had always had a special place in my heart for her, but at that moment, it was more than special. I wanted to kiss her right then and there, but I felt uncertain that she felt the same way.

But I was wrong. When we walked inside and went to our room, she closed the door, pulled me onto the bed, and kissed me. I didn't realize she was such a good kisser. Every one of her boyfriends had said she was "meh" at kissing, but they were all wrong.

We kissed for three minutes, and when we finally broke apart, she stared at me. I knew that look; her eyes were full of love and lust all at once. I knew right then and there that she was mine and I was hers.

Later, Rachel was getting ready to leave. "Rachel, stop, my parents are downstairs," I said.

"Oh, come on, Ky, it's not like they already know we're together," Rachel replied.

"I doubt that baby, they just think we're best friends who can't stop hanging out," I laughed.

Rachel got up from my bed, grabbed her clothes and packed her bag. "Where are you going, babe?" I whined. I never want her to leave me. That means I won't see her for another 24 hours.

"I have to go, Ky. I'll see you tomorrow at school. I love you," she said. I kissed her, and then she left.

I went to my window to see if Rachel had left yet. When she did, I got dressed in my comfy PJs and walked downstairs to see my dad and mom in the kitchen making dinner. I saw that there was way more food than we needed for just the three of us.

"Mom, dad, who's all this food for? Are you running a homeless shelter without me knowing?" I asked sarcastically.

"Well, we have some company coming over, our new neighbors actually," my mom said while taking out the ham from the oven. "They have a son your age, I'm sure you'll think he's very cute," my dad added.

I got quiet, not too quiet for my parents to even notice, but I already felt uncomfortable. "Anyways, when are they coming over?" I asked, trying to seem interested.

"They're coming over in about 30 minutes. So, get dressed up, honey, I don't want you to look like we picked you up off the street," my mom grinned.

"Whatever."

I walked back upstairs and took a hot shower, thinking about Rachel. This was the only place, besides my room, where I could think to myself without anyone interrupting me. After the shower, I put on a nice plaid red and black skirt and paired it with some tights and a red button-up shirt. I tucked in my hair over my ears and looked at myself. If only Rachel was here to see me in this. I never dress up for her because there is no reason to.

I went back downstairs and saw some people already in the living room with glasses of wine. I didn't realize that the family had already arrived. I walked over and saw the boy my dad had talked about, the son. He had nice pulled-together blonde hair and lean cheekbones, very refined actually. But I didn't think he was cute or anything. Maybe a little.

My mom looked over and ran over to me. "This is my daughter Kylie," she said too loudly. "Kylie, these are our new neighbors." She pointed over to the lady and the son sitting on the couch.

"Hi," I whispered loudly.

"Come on, everyone, let's eat," my dad said, leading us to the dining room.

I sat down and started to take what I wanted from the bowls and plates laid out for me. "Oh, I didn't tell you their names yet, I'm sorry, Kylie," my mom said. I put my fork down and glanced up to see the son looking up at me.

"I'm Tyler," he said. His voice was smooth and rocky at the same time, like he could be in a horror film.

I nodded and continued to eat my food. As dinner continued, I felt Tyler's stares, and it was becoming very uncomfortable.

"Well, I'm done. Can I be excused?" I said, standing up with my plate.

"Sweetie, don't be rude, please stay for the rest of the dinner," my mom said firmly.

"It's okay, we'll see each other soon," Tyler said with a little too much fire in his eyes.

"Yeah, it's okay, Barbara. We can come anytime to see your family," Tyler's mother stated.

"Alright, fine. Just wash your dishes before you go upstairs," my mom said. "Okay. It was nice meeting you guys," I said as I got up.

"Oh, it was nice meeting you as well, Kylie," Tyler's mother said.

I just realized that I never got her name. It's fine; I'll get it later. After I washed my dishes, I walked upstairs. I closed my door and ran into my bathroom. I thought to myself, "Having him around is definitely going to be a problem for me."