Want

Upon walking into the dimly lit work office, ignoring the sounds of keystrokes and pointless conversations, I saw her. Today felt different, despite me seeing her every day. Her presence consumed my thoughts, her every move interesting me in a way that balanced on the line between obsession and a mere crush.

As I carried on with my day, my cubicle a few feet away from hers, her laughter echoed through the office, a melody that softened the monotony of the daily workload. Others went out of their way to purposely make conversation with her, whereas I observed from a distance.

I was rather quiet at work, I wasn't one to dilly- dally at the office parties often thrown, or one to talk much during meetings, at work I was different. I knew what I wanted and I didn't care to entertain anyone else.

She was everything I wasn't —vibrant, social. I watched her navigate throughout the building with so much grace, I felt the pull of her presence, like gravity binding us together.

As much as I thought I knew her, she was a puzzle.

A riddle. I couldn't quite figure out what made me think this, she seemed like this part of her was just a persona and I was captivated by the challenge. While others mindlessly stumbled over nothing to win her favor, I remained hidden, wanting to unravel her secrets from a distance.

"Hi, did you by chance, finish those reports for the meeting?"

Is she talking to me?

"Uh, yeah, I'm almost done. I just need to...double-check a few things" I responded.

"That's great, thank you! You always come through for the office."

"Yeah, no problem. It's what I'm here for."

No shit Sherlock, that's your job.

"So, any plans for the weekend?" She continued, keeping the conversation alive.

"Oh, um, not really".

"Okay, well, a few of us are grabbing drinks after work. You should come!"

"Really? That seems fun, I'll think about it".

"Okay! The information is in the group chat, I hope to see you there".

"Yeah, definitely. See you" I said and paired my response with an awkward smile.

I can't help but feel excitement. Perhaps outside of work, I'll unravel the mystery she's been hiding.

Her pov

"So, you know that guy from the IT department?" I asked my friend as she warmed up her lunch in the break room.

"You mean the quiet one who always looks like he's lost in thought?"

"Yeah, I- , there's just something about him."

"Really? What about him catches your eye?"

"I don't know, it's strange. But every time I see him, I  feel drawn to him."

"Huh, I never would've pegged you for having a thing for the mysterious type" she giggled.

"There's just this... mystery to him, you know? Not to mention he's really attractive".

"Is this developing into a kinky attraction?" She jokes.

"Shut up! It's nothing serious, just a harmless crush".

"Uh-huh, sure it is. Well, you should talk to him sometime, maybe he'll meet up to all your fantasies" she wiggles her eyebrows.

"Calm down, I invited him out for drinks with us".