Departure (Prologue)

A young Silkwing taps her claws restlessly against the silk webbing that made up her shiny, gold hammock. Her brow furrows in the direction of her father, Ailanthus, as he vocalizes his discontent with her idea.

“Are you kidding me, Aglais!? How in Clearsight’s name did you come to the conclusion that that would be a good idea?!” he barked. “I was already worried enough when you told me you wanted to go to the Hive kingdom, then when you said you were going to make a tapestry of the Poison Jungle too? I honestly have no idea how you managed to get me on-board with that. But now you want to go all the way to Pyrrhia!? Alone!?”

Yes! I wouldn’t be the first dragon to do something like this! Plenty of artists have done traveling in their career.” she retorted, “It almost always ends up being a massive boost to their popularity! Not to mention that it would help me practice more with different subject matters. I can only make so many tapestries of the same garden, dad.”

He scoffs defiantly before shouting, “Plenty of Silkwings have also died on their little expedition! Silkwings who are much older than you. Some of which even had actual combat training. If you were to be ambushed by some low-life Skywings or something, how could you possibly survive? You can’t rely on your flamesilk to save you from everything!”

She rolls her eyes as she hops down from her hammock. “And why not? I’m basically untouchable! Given just a bit of prep-time, I can practically turn myself into a firescale. At that point, who needs ‘training?’ Right mom? You’ve gotten along just fine without it!” She desperately shakes her talon in a motion toward Burnet, who up until now had been laying down in a hammock across the room, trying to keep herself out of the conflict.

“Hey, don’t you drag me into this, little bug; I already said I was fine with whatever your father decides,” Aglais’ mother announced. Ailanthus shot an offended glare at his wife.

“How could you possibly be okay with this!? What if she gets hurt? She’s only 15 years old; she’s barely even had her wings for 3 years!”

Burnet sighs, realizing she has, in fact, been dragged into this. She lifts herself out of her hammock and makes her way over to her partner, laying a talon tentatively on his tense shoulder. Her voice was calm and considerate, and she spoke softly enough that Aglais could barely hear her. “Honey, we can’t keep her here forever, and if I’m being honest, she’s right. This trip of hers could set up her future. We know she has the talent, why should we keep her from using it?”

Ailanthus shifts his wing in a way that forces Burnet’s talon off of his shoulder. “What good is her talent if she isn’t alive to use it? She’s still just a dragonet! You know that! It's not safe for her out there…” Tears started to build in his eyes, causing them to glitter in the light of the flamesilk lanterns adorning the walls. “Why can’t she just stay here..? Why does she need fame?”

“Weaving is the one thing I’m really good at!” Aglais interrupted. “and I don’t need fame,” she says, not entirely truthfully, “I just want the opportunity to live my life in a way that puts my skills to use! If that ends up making me famous anyway, so be it.”

Burnet nods to her husband in agreement as Aglais finishes her point. “Other dragons just can't make the things she can, even other flamesilks like me. Her skills are unprecedented for dragons like us,” Burnet explains, lowering her voice to the point that Aglais couldn't make out what she was saying. “-And I know you know that. I’m her mother, I worry for her safety just as much as you. But even so, it would be a disservice to her, and everyone else, if we kept her from her dreams. I doubt she would ever forgive us.”