Answers with Questions

Aurelia was certain that it was going to be a long day ahead. She tried to put herself back to sleep by forcefully shutting her eyes closed, clearing out any lingering thought with loud inhales and a sigh of an exhale. The alternate approach of not paying attention to the myriad of questions that arose within her at an uncomfortable time of the day, regarding her actions and adequacy, did not make them go away. They tugged at her, intensifying by the minute.

The seemingly implausible scenario prodded her as a probability. She couldn't shake off her instincts that something was amiss. The visit to the realm of the savages was a waking call more than a surprise. Heinous murderers. Opportunistic monsters who benefitted from evil. The academicians proclaimed as fact, one that she generally concurred with, till the day she decided to oblige to and indulge her curiosity.

The realm itself seemed poisoned, which was confirmed by the suspicious gentleness of the village chief. A thick fog surrounded the vast province, never relenting nor receding. They persisted to survive with what they had and seemed to have a community that was nothing less than thriving in spite of all odds. The crystals were dubious, but the cause of it unknown. Definitely wasn't the predisposed sight.

The cries of terror from the man succumbing to flames rattled her from within. It was her fault. The suspicions that she had when she overheard her father, The King, discussing a magic leak was not without merit. While she wanted it to be false, couldn't deny that it was true. Those crystals seemed to absorb her magic and they for sure existed.

Understanding that sleep was off limits, she patiently waited for a reasonable time to summon Lumien.

***

"What do you mean by looking into past records, Princess, are you doubting something?" Lumien was perplexed.

The view from Aurelia's room high up enough to see the townhall was spectacular. The tall statue of Flora in all her elegance and poise, complete with a bow made out of leaves and flowers was not only a feat of architecture, but also the symbol for their province and their liberator. Aurelia used to eye the monument out of marvel, but today out of solemnity.

"What do you have in mind, Princess?" Lumien hoped to snap her out of the daze.

"Pardon me, Lumien. Please see to it that any information can be gathered regarding the culprits of the attack. This is of utmost importance. Also, it would be helpful if you could look into past records, as I mentioned regarding the poisoned realm. I can't quite tell yet. Check for things outside of what we know."

"We know the truth, Aurelia." Lumien addressed by name reading Aurelia's cues.

"Maybe we do. There is no harm in ensuring it. Researching can be fun. And it's an order." Aurelia rarely ordered.

"On it, is there anything else that I need to know?" Lumien prepared to leave.

Aurelia paused for a moment. "No, I will let you know if need be."

Lumien made a customary bow and headed out.

***

"You surprised me, Aurelia," Serena exclaimed as a tiny stream of water sploshed on them. Aurelia let out a giggle as Serena did not seem to be annoyed at this unintended disturbance. Aurelia considered Serena to be someone who could be relied on. She always found her teacher trying her best; both in imparting knowledge as well as in her daily activities. Aurelia did not see gardening as something she would take up as a pastime. She did not have that many qualities in addition to the magic that she performed and the unpleasant expectations levied on her to live up to her famed ancestor who liberated the province from Dark magic almost a century ago. She wasn't half bad at singing either; a fact that she never mentioned to anyone.