Flailing about

Kelvin tried to shake off that uneasy feeling of a disturbed sleep behind him. Even though his clock indicated that he had got his usual quota of sleep, it wasn't a satisfactory beginning to his day. Lethargically going through the motions that were his morning chores, he got himself ready putting on the overall blue worker's garb. Lee was busy munching the pet food while he gave the lesser cat a shrug for making him clean up.

"You are not going to stay put, are you?" Kelvin eyed the feline with an amused expression. Lee was in a rather chatty mood; busy toppling over himself. He tried to test the waters by asking Lee to stay and slowly inched towards the door. Opened it just wide enough for him to squeeze out of it. As he turned back to check, he met Lee's pointed gaze pierce right through him. He wasn't getting away. This was proving to be more troublesome than he anticipated. He was running late and Lee did not care.

"Okay, you leave me no choice," Kelvin muttered under his breath and rummaged through Lee's shelf of toys which was the most guarded property of the house. He knew Lee hated what he was about to do but he had no choice. He managed to cause enough of a distraction to be able to put the circular bubble over Lee's head who immediately let him know he wasn't pleased. Grumpy and whiny Lee was no fun. But it was funny looking at the four-legged astronaut. This wasn't needed, but it didn't hurt.

"You better follow me. Or I will have to test out that theory that I read about, which said cats can find their way back from great distances." Lee seemed to nod.

As Kevin strolled together with his best friend towards the town center, trying to be amiable with onlookers with unreadable expressions, he saw a couple giggling and chit chatting sitting on a bench. It wasn't the most romantic of places but he could see why it was one of the most practical spots. A rectangular see through container stood near the bench. It was filled with green fluid. It has become a familiar sight these days and he was thankful for it. He couldn't bear the thought of how his father or people in his time would have navigated these same streets perpetually constrained as how Lee was, or how they managed to have social interactions. It was a good thing that sign language was still taught in schools or in homes to children.

The town center was a big circle, a bit less flamboyant than the old-timey movies in which he had seen fountains and lush grass patches carved in between concrete in intricate patterns. Some people still thronged to visit the centerpiece of the venue, which even Kelvin wished he had more time to. The home was just too comfortable. There stood the "tree" which changed all of their lives for the better.

It was just like any other normal tree except for the fact that, instead of leaves, flowers and branches, it was an array of crystalline funnel shaped receptacles branching out from tubules in a repeated interweaved nested arrangement arising from a single basal node. The view was a spectacle during the night where the whole structure would glow in a dazzling display of gold which no 'natural' tree can. This mechanical marvel was indeed what put their town on the map, drawing people for the better or for the worse; mostly worse according to the lab workers. More importantly, it does its job which is to let them breathe. The microalgae mini plants assisted a great deal as well. The work in the lab was crucial for the town. That is where most of the funding goes.

Though Kelvin hesitated to initiate conversations, the skill of observing has taught him a great deal. Sometimes micro-expressions and body language confirmed more than words ever could.

As Kelvin swiped his identity card and entered the premises, he thought he's be getting an earful for this rather indulgent adventure. But then he remembered that he was dispensable like everyone else. The work went on in spite of him, not because. He did earnestly try. One day, he would make a difference.