Corruption

The water body which was once said to contain cure for diseases now laid barren. Just a shell of its prehistoric glory. There was a shallow crater serving as a reminder of what had once been, with the receded water eroding the rocks within them, resulting in an uneven terrain of hills and valleys. The land itself had fractures all over owing to the aridness. The whole place looked like it would collapse under its own weight, but somehow remained intact despite it all.

Three prominent triangular structures commanded the attention of the party. They stood high amongst the inconsistent peaks and signified grandeur lost to time. The carved out circular passage way into these structures were guarded by people who looked lost in this land of the miners, but armed with crystal infused weaponry.

Max sighed in frustration. "It's funny to me that the main town is more interested in guarding this good for nothing excuse of a place. Our hospitals requirements need to be stated a month beforehand and takes a week later than promised. Priorities, I guess."

Amy echoed this sentiment but did not want to start another argument with her hot-headed co-worker.

"This is so funny to me. To see them guard whatever this is, from us, preventing access to resources that is ours. Even you can't deny how absurd this is," frustration mounted as Max complained to Amy.

The village did not have the technology to actually extract and transport the crystals. Also, it needed to be cut in a certain way to achieve maximum efficiency, as people found out after years of use. So, the site was handed over to the town in exchange for an agreeable but slightly disadvantageous share of crystals. Amy did not revoke the old agreements which was a point of contention to her post with the locals.

Aurelia followed the arguing duo, not so behind them. Maybe they lacked the perspective that she had, or it could be that they weren't capable of it, but between the near silent musings within herself, she felt nervous excitement build in her. The place had a magical signature that she could not mistake. This could have been the very site where her fabled ancestor made the last stand against the evil that engulfed the realms. Where her province and her Kingdom carved an identity as a formidable force amidst the others who practiced magic.

Fallout of this great war was a new knowledge to her, but she knew it had wide ramifications. She had known there was a bloody retaliation and a rebellion her father had thwarted, and she owed her position to those events; fair or not. It had become so severe at one point, the targeted killing of magical users forced the best magician in each province come together and cast a shield so strong, their realms were forever separated. It brought peace even if in isolation.

"What's the matter Aurelia?" Melody asked, only audible to Aurelia. She had seen the princess lost in thought.

"I don't think they know, but this place is connected to him. I can feel it," Aurelia responded.

Melody nudged Lumien, who was taking in the sights around him and hence unresponsive, only to be disturbed by a sudden blaring cacophony.

"I thought you were sleepwalking," Melody smirked.

"Not with your nightmarish presence," Lumien retorted trying to hold back his irritation. "This is not playtime, you know that? When will you learn to be serious?"

"Ogling at rocks wasn't my idea of seriousness. Guess you learn a new thing every day," Melody taunted in mock respect. "Listen, Aurelia said something nightmarish is up ahead. Trust me, I don't want to talk to you unless it's absolutely necessary."

"Were you guys saying something? I'm hearing this low buzz around us." Kelvin addressed Aurelia.

Aurelia stared back at Kelvin without knowing what to say. She composed herself after a split second before reassuring Kelvin that he was just hearing things and everything were normal.