First Fight

The river was flowing seamlessly, the water in sync with the sky, colored blue to perception but possessing none in reality. The mighty river through the ebbs and flows had conquered rocks which extended on both sides which displayed the wear and tear like scars on a proud warrior in a stunning display of columnar basalt deposits, rectangular pillars of rock on both the banks; of different heights forming a staircase of nature.

A chair was placed in the middle of the canyon with Aurelia perched on top. The sky was overcast teasing a downpour at any moment. Strangely the windows signalled a sunny day. The chairs placed further away in a particular direction were immersed in water at an ankle's depth, with the pebble and moss filled sea floor clearly visible. The potential audience would be treated to a sight of the jungle lush; vines, trees and shrubs.

"At your command, Princess," Lumien bowed despite told not to. Many a times before. This princess has much less regard for formalities which he wished the other officials he served under had. If at all he was going to get fired, it would take weeks to get back his manners which were more like reflex actions. The King had left the princess in charge. He was her guard. It was an honor for him.

Aurelia was nervous. She had been made aware of the enemy presence in the western outpost.

In an hour, they had approached the city borders and the emergency flares went off signalling imminent danger. This already meant casualties and that the assurances given to her about the magic defense, not foolproof. Could it be? She always had this nagging feeling of late.

"Let's not waste any more time, Lumien. We have to be there."

Lumien wondered what this attack could mean. They wouldn't march in to a fully prepared city aiming for victory. Reports did not even indicate a large group.

Aurelia had insisted it herself to be on the frontlines. She needed to see it for herself. She had hoped she had more time.

Lumien's sword glowed with a golden hue as golden dust surrounded them like a translucent veil before they vanished from the magical room of high maintenance.

***

When they arrived in anticipation and with a slight dread about what was to come, things were already in motion.

Aurelia had a quick word with the regiment chief who kept her up to speed. She could see them. Cloaked and malevolent. She had expected a combination of black and red; some ferocious hounds and blood curdling screams and a murder of ravens singing in harmony.

But somehow this was more unsettling. They all wore white. They didn't have any animals accompanying them, other than the ones driving their coaches. They looked like run of the mill horses. Aurelia didn't know if she should feel disappointed for her first fight. Visually, a bit glum, but the instinct to murder was pretty much intact. They all had unreadable expressions on their faces, moving in unison like a hive mind.

The two groups – green and white attires – stood in a standstill. It could go very wrong at any moment now. In a closer look, each of her enemies bore an insignia on their cloaks. Prisoners. There was no time for one-liners or slogan chant.

Dark magic oozed like ink in the air. Couple of soldiers toppled as it permeated through their magic shields. They struggled and writhed on the ground as the magic exited their mouths as black plasma, ending their misery.

Lumien could only cover people in his range with his shield. It was Aurelia's first foray. He would be blamed in case of any mishap.

"Don't worry about me." Aurelia nodded at Lumien.